Our girls won't eat layer pellets and act like they are starving all the time

Falklandschucks

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
We have 3 Chickens that refuse to eat layer pellets. We do spoil them with scraps and plenty of corn but only because they seam to be hungry all the time. We have tried reducing the corn but they still do not touch the pellets.

The other thing is they screech really loudly until we feed them. This means that they wake us and the neighbours up in the morning with their call for food. Does anyone have any tips and does it matter that they won't have the corn?

We have 3 Chickens that refuse to eat layer pellets. We do spoil them with scraps and plenty of corn but only because they seam to be hungry all the time. We have tried reducing the corn but they still do not touch the pellets.

The other thing is they screech really loudly until we feed them. This means that they wake us and the neighbours up in the morning with their call for food. Does anyone have any tips and does it matter that they won't have the corn?
Hi and welcome

You hit the nail on the head - they are spoiled children who are throwing a tantrum and when they do you are giving in -- why would they stop doing what they are doing? It's time for a little tough love. You need to buckle down, cut the treats entirely and stick to your guns for a couple of days - when the choice is pellets or nothing, they WILL eat the pellets -- right now the choice is pellets or throw a fit until you get junk food (that is what the corn is), and of course they choose throw a fit and get junk food, because that works for them. When that tactic stops working for them they will stop using it. Reducing the corn did not help because they were still getting the corn, so they had something to hold out for and knew you would give in - it has to be cut, completely, for now.

x2! I would love to live on champagne and strawberries, myself, but can't. Your birds are hungry because they aren't getting adequate nutrients, and because they have trained you well. Mary

I tried the pellets and for some reason they wouldn't eat them. I switched back to crumbles and they eat them like a sewing machine with their heads going up and down lol

The rooster didn't mind the pellets but my hens wanted nothing to do with them

I had the same trouble trying to get my hens to eat Indian Corn. After a day or two and a few adventurous hens getting into the act the flock discovered that they absolutely loved red and blue corn kernels.

It would however be interesting to see the guaranteed analysis on the tag sewed onto the feed bag that the pellets came in.. Ditto for the crumbles.

I tried the pellets and for some reason they wouldn't eat them. I switched back to crumbles and they eat them like a sewing machine with their heads going up and down lol

The rooster didn't mind the pellets but my hens wanted nothing to do with them

My chickens don't like pellets either, so they get crumbles.. What's the difference?

Beware, some crumbles and 'grower' feeds contain ingredients which can't be fed to layers....in fact eggs can't be consumed for two weeks after feeding of these has been ceased in some cases. Read the packaging carefully!

Cut out the scraps and corn. Corn is like chicken candy. We use a little as bribery to get them locked away, but otherwise avoid it.

Good luck!!

Lol. I meant the way they act towards it more than the nutritional side....our chickens and corn is like our kids and candy!. Ours go crazy with excitement when the kids take the corn out to them.
1f609.png

It must taste better because like the scraps, they'll always take it over the pellets....my point was if you want them to eat their pellets, save the 'candy/good stuff' for treats or after they've eaten their 'main' feed.
1f600.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom