Our girls won't eat layer pellets and act like they are starving all the time

same way here .. they act like the pellets are poison..... hey they have lost weight... Course I feel better giving them the grains I bought...seperately. like millet,milo, non GMO corn,wheat, from The Amish mill.. Plus" Royal Wing" brand 40 lb bag... from TSC.... BOSunflower seeds that is.
I tried breaking up the pellets with hammer etc, so time consu,ing.....
Plus the pellets some inthe 5 gal feeder( featured on here) developed maggots. a lil rain got past the 90 ell 3 inch elle>>>>
so emptied it and went thru it...... and did not put whole lots i it ( the 5 gal. FOOD GRADE bucket..
Just a saying

You could try soaking the pellets in water - only takes a few minutes and the pellets turn to mash. Mine will eat the mash like was ground meal worms. I have three hens, I take about 1/2 cup of pellets in a small bowl and cover with warm water, by the time I get outside it has turned to a bowl of mush, they gobble it up.
If the pellets are the only ration available the chickens will eat it. They will not starve.

I think Jack might mean that some crumbles contain medication, right, Jack? I fed mine medicated crumbles to prevent diseases when they were young but switched to non-medicated layer pellets-I think at about 16 weeks, as recommended from my research. BUT...it is also recommended to gradually switch to pellets, which I did-half crumbles and half pellets mixed together for a week or so and my 17 chickens adapted well. I also was not giving any cracked corn at the time though...they had never had corn, so they didn't know how good it was! I now feed only layer pellets and a little corn as a treat. Mine also get daily leftovers of bread, sandwiches, veggies, etc, as my job has food they would throw away, so I can bring it home for my 14 girls, and one boy. We lost 2 girls to hawk attacks about a month ago! : (

They make Layer crumbles, nearly the same thing as pellets just a different shape. I think people need to understand crumbles come in "Starter" version and Layer. Likely others.
wee.gif

What sort of hens are they and I guess we should check how old?

Some bantams and younger birds find the pellets too much of a mouthful. Just buy layer crumble if they are of laying age and happy to eat that. None of mine are a fan of pellets, just as easy for me to buy layer crumble.

Like the others said cut out the corn treats and you will find there is nothing yummier than layer pellets with warm water poured over them then stirred so they break up.

Last edited:
Yes
I think Jack might mean that some crumbles contain medication, right, Jack? I fed mine medicated crumbles to prevent diseases when they were young but switched to non-medicated layer pellets-I think at about 16 weeks, as recommended from my research. BUT...it is also recommended to gradually switch to pellets, which I did-half crumbles and half pellets mixed together for a week or so and my 17 chickens adapted well. I also was not giving any cracked corn at the time though...they had never had corn, so they didn't know how good it was! I now feed only layer pellets and a little corn as a treat. Mine also get daily leftovers of bread, sandwiches, veggies, etc, as my job has food they would throw away, so I can bring it home for my 14 girls, and one boy. We lost 2 girls to hawk attacks about a month ago! : (

bean sprout, that's correct. I accidentally purchased a grower crumble that had an antibiotic for coccidiosis in it. As our 'mum' was also eating it we can't eat her eggs for two weeks until it's cleared her system. Very frustrating throwing out all those longed for eggs.

If they're all young and not yet laying it wouldn't be a problem, unless you wanted to avoid unnessecary antibiotics. Other feeds have a more natural protectant which can be fed to layers too.

My chickens don't like pellets either, so they get crumbles.. What's the difference?

Just the way they are made.

The pellet shape is quicker and cheaper to manufacture but harder for the chickens to swallow. The crumbles are pellets that are crumbled after they are pelleted. So more expensive to manufacture and buy.

It is hard to switch chickens to pellets after they have had crumbles. You need to mix the pellets into the crumbles a little at a time increasing the amount added each time to get them to eat pellets well. It takes a long time, in fact you can go through a whole bag of pellets while making the switch.

You would have better luck soaking a days worth of pellets overnight, they'd fall apart that way. Or, full out fermenting the pellets and getting the extra benefits of Fermented Feed. If you want to check out Fermenting Feed: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them/5250

Just the way they are made.

The pellet shape is quicker and cheaper to manufacture but harder for the chickens to swallow. The crumbles are pellets that are crumbled after they are pelleted. So more expensive to manufacture and buy.

It is hard to switch chickens to pellets after they have had crumbles. You need to mix the pellets into the crumbles a little at a time increasing the amount added each time to get them to eat pellets well. It takes a long time, in fact you can go through a whole bag of pellets while making the switch.

You would have better luck soaking a days worth of pellets overnight, they'd fall apart that way. Or, full out fermenting the pellets and getting the extra benefits of Fermented Feed. If you want to check out Fermenting Feed: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them/5250
It depends on the pellet being used, I use a pelleted feed from birth.
My chicks get a 1/8" round pellet where my adults get a 3/16" pellet.

If your going to go throw all the trouble of soaking or fermenting pelleted feed why not just get a poultry mash?
It's cheaper and it would save you a lot of work and loss of nutrients.

Here's the pellet I feed,

It depends on the pellet being used, I use a pelleted feed from birth.
My chicks get a 1/8" round pellet where my adults get a 3/16" pellet.

If your going to go throw all the trouble of soaking or fermenting pelleted feed why not just get a poultry mash?
It's cheaper and it would save you a lot of work and loss of nutrients.

Here's the pellet I feed,

Amazing, I have never seen pellets like these. The pellets around here is the size and shape of rabbit feed. If there was an option of pellets like you have i would certainly use them. But Purina is the only brand choice locally and the co-op doesn't sell it in mash.

Back
Top Bottom