Our hen doesn't like her coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vondutch, Feb 26, 2014.

1. vondutch

vondutch New Egg

Feb 26, 2014
    Ok, I have a question. We have 4 hens, they are 18 months old. We let them roam free for about 4 hours a day! When it gets dark they go back to their coop, One of my hens has decided she doesn't want to go back In the coop and for 5 days straight We have found her on our front porch! Can anyone tell me why? I worry because it's so cold out. At least in her coop she can snuggle up with the other hens!! Every night I pick her up at carry her to her coop!! Thank you

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Is one of the other hens bullying her away from the coop? Does the coop have plenty of roosting space for all of them? Is there a light on at the porch that is attracting her maybe / is the coop lighted?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have you noticed the other hens picking on her? Is she lowest in pecking order? They may be giving her a hard time. A light on timer that goes on at dusk and off a short while later, may lure her inside. But since it is cold, I think you need to put her inside manually. Maybe that way you will see what is happening when she does come inside.

Have you checked her for mites? They tend to come out and attack birds on the roost at night. It can be a reason she avoids coming in. Aside from the cold, she is at high risk of predator attack sleeping on your porch.

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Reasons for changing roosting location can be bullying, mite infestation of coop, predator disturbance of coop.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I agree with all these posters. Number one is bullying. The other hens can bully another to the point of not going into the coop, not allowing them to eat or drink or even lay her eggs. So you need to figure out what is going on and make accommodations for this, no doubt, lowest ranking hen.

7. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!!! [​IMG] X2 on the above posts.

8. vondutch

vondutch New Egg

Feb 26, 2014
    There is no sign of bullying, in fact she looks the best out of the lot! When they eat, the other hens don't bother her. Don't see any mites in the chicken either!

9. vondutch

vondutch New Egg

Feb 26, 2014
    I don't see any signs of bullying and I don't see any mites! As for predators, we keep their coop locked at night! This hen looks the healthiest out of the lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by