Our LGDs killed a hen this morning.

We purchased two Livestock Guardian Dogs a month ago and just recently we are losing hens one by one. But this morning we found a dead hen which they had caught and mauled it. It's organs were exposed. We thought LGDs instinctively are protective. They have been out with the 50 hens for 4 weeks. The dogs are Maremmas.
Can anyone give advice?

This is a relatively easy fix. First you can buy a set of training collars and a remote for less than $50 on line. That's the easy part.

Next is the training. Most remotes have a warning buzzer feature and if you see the dogs going after, or even showing an interest in, your chickens say "NO" a give a buzz. This needs to be repeated dozens of times until the dog gets it. If the buzz does not work then set it to a shock level (the levels are adjustable) high enough to create some discomfort to get the dogs attention. It takes time but it will work. The key is to pay attention and watch for any sign of interest.

They are too young to be guardians and cannot be fully trusted to do their job until they are at least one year old. In the meantime, they need to spend a lot of supervised time with the chickens to learn that they are not playthings. It takes a lot of time and patience.

This is a relatively easy fix. First you can buy a set of training collars and a remote for less than $50 on line. That's the easy part.

Next is the training. Most remotes have a warning buzzer feature and if you see the dogs going after, or even showing an interest in, your chickens say "NO" a give a buzz. This needs to be repeated dozens of times until the dog gets it. If the buzz does not work then set it to a shock level (the levels are adjustable) high enough to create some discomfort to get the dogs attention. It takes time but it will work. The key is to pay attention and watch for any sign of interest.

Although I agree that training collars can be useful, they should not be used until a dog already knows a command and breaks it. Be sure and read the instructions that come with the collars.

Positive reinforcement is the best training approach, especially with independent or sensitive dogs. It’s important that you teach them your expectations and practice consistency to establish a relationship, before you start bringing in corrective measures that can damage their drive to please you.

Last edited:
Positive reinforcement is the best training approach, especially with independent or sensitive dogs. It’s important that you teach them your expectations and practice consistency to establish a relationship, before you start bringing in corrective measures that can damage their drive to please you.

In general praise and/or reward is an effective training method in the long run but especially with more intelligent dogs with strong guarding or protective instincts (I have Rotties) you need to correct negative behavior when it occurs. For example you can't praise a dog for not jumping on guests. You need to first correct them and then, if appropriate, reward them. Same goes for attacking chickens. As someone involved with rescue dog programs I can assure you that most problem dogs are the result of ineffective socialization and lack of consistent discipline.

We purchased two Livestock Guardian Dogs a month ago and just recently we are losing hens one by one. But this morning we found a dead hen which they had caught and mauled it. It's organs were exposed. We thought LGDs instinctively are protective. They have been out with the 50 hens for 4 weeks. The dogs are Maremmas.
Can anyone give advice?
Training lots of training I agree, i would suggest to tide up dogs while your flock is roaming with you by their side and very time you see one of them jump towards them you reprimand them. I have two dogs with no experience of having hens around and now my flock come up to the dog food and eat from it front of the dogs. its a beautiful picture once they all get along. Good luck

In general praise and/or reward is an effective training method in the long run but especially with more intelligent dogs with strong guarding or protective instincts (I have Rotties) you need to correct negative behavior when it occurs. For example you can't praise a dog for not jumping on guests. You need to first correct them and then, if appropriate, reward them. Same goes for attacking chickens. As someone involved with rescue dog programs I can assure you that most problem dogs are the result of ineffective socialization and lack of consistent discipline.
Positive reinforcement doesn’t mean you do not correct poor behaviors. It means that when the dog is doing what you want, the behavior is rewarded. If not, you deny them of what they are trying to get through their ill behavior. For example, using the example you brought up- if I had a problem with a dog jumping on me, I would turn and walk away from the dog. They are wanting contact/ attention and by going around it the wrong way, they are not going to get it. When the dog settles down, a simple “yes, good job” and a pet gets the message across fairly quickly- you jump, not contact. You wait, you get the attention you seek.

I have only raised guardian & herding breeds of high intelligence (GSDs, Malinois, Rottweilers) have never had any behavior issues using positive reinforcement based training and “too bad for you- time out” as a correction.

Back
Top Bottom