Our Mixed Flock Journey!

Pics
I understand that you would like them to be friendly with you.. but if Roo 1 becomes too aggressive and you cannot keep him... then maybe Roo 2 will be a perfect rooster to have as he may just have developed a respect for you..he may just keep his distance and take care of his rooster business with no aggression towards you... which is good... just a thought.. I don’t have much experience with roosters either... and I do believe every chicken is an individual for sure... I had a little Cochin cockerel that would just keep his distance from me.. I’d much rather that than one that can’t really be trusted when you turn your back!
Maybe if you shove Roo 1 the next time he pecks you instead of holding him perhaps that’ll keep him away like Roo 2... and could one or all of the hens be your pet instead?
I definitely won't keep a mean rooster! I half expected him to become more standoffish, that is the way with roosters, I was just feeling bad that I freaked out Roo 2 so much! I was actually having a rough moment (still trying to adapt to my new normal, which is kind of like many steps backwards in time, instead of forward to a new adventure in our lives) and it all happened at the wrong time (I'm still having a rough day, but this to shall pass :) )! All but 4 or 5 of the hens are very friendly and come over to let me pet them, I will continue spending time with them everyday and see what happens!
Thank you so much for the encouragement, you and Debby are awesome... 💞

I definitely won't keep a mean rooster! I half expected him to become more standoffish, that is the way with roosters, I was just feeling bad that I freaked out Roo 2 so much! I was actually having a rough moment (still trying to adapt to my new normal, which is kind of like many steps backwards in time, instead of forward to a new adventure in our lives) and it all happened at the wrong time (I'm still having a rough day, but this to shall pass :) )! All but 4 or 5 of the hens are very friendly and come over to let me pet them, I will continue spending time with them everyday and see what happens!
I hope you are feeling better soon! :hugs

Sorry for the rough day Rene :hugs

Sorry for the rough day Rene :hugs
Thank you Debby! :hugs I apologize for being so melancholy...I'm not usually like that, but sometimes, when I'm over tired it builds & rears its ugly head. My husband and I have worked hard on our homes, for the last 35 years, we've had 2, a stepping stone house (a small fixer upper) to the one that we built ourselves, we cleared the land by hand and did all of the construction, landscaping & well everything. We've been working on our place ever since and we were finally scaling back the projects & getting ready for retirement. I just need to suck it up, quit being such a spoiled American and be thankful for what we have & thankful that we have the ability to accomplish what needs to be done..lol! I truly am blessed & thankful...just tired.

Last edited:
That's kind of what I was thinking too! I will do that, that's how I was able to figure out what my little Sapphire Olive Egger was, I was given a suggestion that she was possibly a Marans-Legbar cross and sure enough, that's what I'm 99% certain she is!

She is so darn pretty!!
I'm feeling kind of sad today! You all know the story of Little Roo...well he has decided that he is now the king of the coop and doesn't need me anymore, he will actually come over and meanly peck at me...I've picked him up a few times to let him know that is not acceptable, but mostly I've tried to leave him alone and let him strut around. As you know I have a 2nd Orpington rooster...Roo 2, he has continued to be very friendly until yesterday! One of the Silkies decided to fly over the top of their little pen, I was hoping they couldn't, but that was in vain. Roo 2 went after it, I saw what was happening and shoved him away...well, now he is scared of me and won't let me touch him! I feel really bad, I told my husband that I need a pet (my 14 year old lab Drakers died 2 years ago and I lost my 10 year old cat, Mr Bentley last December), but he doesn't want a new dog or cat and roosters are probably not the best pets, but they both were always so friendly, I didn't do anything to little Roo, but I definitely blew it with Roo 2, all over a chicken that I wasn't sure I wanted in the first place, but I will still take care of it and try to keep it safe the best that I can! 😪

I'm so sorry, Rene 😔 I hope Roo 2 will get over it and find a new kind of respect for you. I can imagine that is a hard situation to deal with.

She is so darn pretty!!

I'm so sorry, Rene 😔 I hope Roo 2 will get over it and find a new kind of respect for you. I can imagine that is a hard situation to deal with.
She is a pretty little hen!

Thank you Rei! I was just getting ready to share that he let me pet him tonight, but he wouldn't come near me when I was walking in the pen...baby steps! :)

I'm sorry you had a rough day, Rene. Tomorrow is a new day and praying that you have a great one!

Back
Top Bottom