Our Mixed Flock Journey!

I'm glad that you're doing well! I'm the opposite...I probably update to much...:gig
Mine started right around 18-19 weeks! You should be getting some soon! I can't wait to see your first eggs! :)
I love all your updates!

I'm really hoping so! I've been trying to decide if I should keep them locked up longer in the mornings until they start laying? They usually free range all day. My concern is that they will start laying in the bushes outside and I will never know who is laying or never find any eggs..

I love all your updates!

I'm really hoping so! I've been trying to decide if I should keep them locked up longer in the mornings until they start laying? They usually free range all day. My concern is that they will start laying in the bushes outside and I will never know who is laying or never find any eggs..
That might not be a bad idea! That being said, my girls seem to lay throughout the whole day...some lay early and some don't lay until late in the afternoon! It won't hurt them to be cooped up just a little longer in the mornings! :)

That might not be a bad idea! That being said, my girls seem to lay throughout the whole day...some lay early and some don't lay until late in the afternoon! It won't hurt them to be cooped up just a little longer in the mornings! :)

Yes, that crossed my mind too! Im hoping if I keep them locked up a bit longer, one might lay in the nest box and the rest will start to get the memo :D Wishful thinking maybe 😂

Yes, that crossed my mind too! Im hoping if I keep them locked up a bit longer, one might lay in the nest box and the rest will start to get the memo :D Wishful thinking maybe 😂
Lol...they definitely learn from each other! Mine are finally all laying in the nesting boxes...well, until the next time they decide to lay somewhere else...:lau

Good morning all! 💞
@cavemanrich how are your new girls settling in?
They settled and integrated fantastically. One reason I always add in minimum of 2. The lil one still hangs with her bodyguard always. :thumbsup
IMG_20200913_140253670.jpg

Consider putting some dummy eggs into nest. If you don't have, then a golf ball will work also. Last option is a hard boiled egg (from store) that you mark so you know its intent.

They settled and integrated fantastically. One reason I always add in minimum of 2. The lil one still hangs with her bodyguard always. :thumbsup
View attachment 2354766

Consider putting some dummy eggs into nest. If you don't have, then a golf ball will work also. Last option is a hard boiled egg (from store) that you mark so you know its intent.
Hopefully, I will be getting 2 new ISA Brown pullets in a couple of weeks! I need to contact my friend and see when he would like me to pick them up! They are around 4 weeks old right now!

View attachment 2354766

I was going to suggest fake eggs too but then some hens wise up fast & hoy them out. @BY Bob found his fake egg under a tree recently ~ nowhere near the nesting boxes.

View attachment 2354766

Thank you for the suggestion! I actually did put a couple golf balls in the nests. Are fake eggs better? The local feed store just got more fake eggs in stock so I might have to get a pack.

Back
Top Bottom