Our Mixed Flock Journey!

Well, something just came up that I have to share! I have a friend...he's my youngest sons best friend locally...anyway he is really getting into raising chickens! I'm giving him one of my FBCM roosters and he is going to be picking up some Cream Legbar hens. I asked him to get a couple of the Legbars for me and the guy he's buying from also has Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and Lavender Orpingtons...yes, I'm also getting another Orpington and one or two Wyandottes in a couple of weeks. I wound up not getting the other hens from my other friend, so I will be able to breed my Legbars to my Marans and get myself some Olive eggers...would be awesome if they look like my little Madeleine!
Wow this is great! I can't wait to meet them. I love all those breeds!

Last edited:
Spazzy, my Salmon Faverolles is broody again...I don't want to put her in broody jail right now as it is still quite cold out and I don't have room to set it up in the coop and the garage smells like finish right now and wouldn't be healthy for her! I will just have to make sure she is getting food and water for now.
My friend that I gave the Silkie hen to, just messaged me and said her hens were broody and she would like to hatch some...so she asks, is there any such thing as finding a rooster for stud. I told her that I've never heard of rent a rooster...lol! I also told her that her hens would not allow a rooster to breed with them if they are currently broody! I then suggested that I could bring her some of my fertile eggs to slip under her broody's...her little boy is so excited! 💞
A Stud Rooster! That is an idea. You should post this story on my thread for Shadrach to see. I can only imagine his response. 😆

I've been looking for accent pieces for my new kitchen design and I ran across this cute sponge holder on Etsy! I placed some plastic grate in the bottom of it that was leftover from my SW fish tank days for drainage! I need a place for a sponge as my new sink has only one bowl!

View attachment 2496887
That is quite lovely and clever.

A Stud Rooster! That is an idea. You should post this story on my thread for Shadrach to see. I can only imagine his response. 😆
I will do that later today, it will be funny, I'm sure...:gig
We are heading to town soon. I can't wait to see what the chicks look like from the eggs I'm giving to my friend, I have a feeling a lot of them will be 1/2 Silkie...my one Silkie doesn't miss very many opportunities to knock the other roosters off...at least I've seen that happen with my Orpingtons, not sure about the Marans.

A Stud Rooster! That is an idea
I have been tossing such an IDEA for ever to my Illinois Community. I call it Rent-A-Rooster.
We are not allowed to have roosters in most of our Chicago Metro, surrounding towns. Not to mention outright bans on chickens altogether in some areas. (My two adjacent suburban towns, Northlake, and Franklin Park, total ban :hit :hit :hit )
In adjacent Dupage County, some towns do have an exemption on roosters if family members are involved in 4H.. Of course if neighbors complain , then Sheriff comes with guns drawn:gig, and instructs you to remove..

Back
Top Bottom