Our Mixed Flock Journey!

If you can, I'd recommend getting her another friend or two and keeping them away from the others.

Based on my experience with an unplanned Polish (freebie from a hatchery), they do get picked on.
I added hens last February but it was unusually warm. It is hard to do construction and integration this time of year. It will likely be March until I can easily expand. 😥

I've been looking for accent pieces for my new kitchen design and I ran across this cute sponge holder on Etsy! I placed some plastic grate in the bottom of it that was leftover from my SW fish tank days for drainage! I need a place for a sponge as my new sink has only one bowl!

View attachment 2496887
That's a fun looking thread! I will need to spend some time going through it...maybe I'll share a couple of things and see if it will get started again! Here's a piece that I've had on top of one of my cabinets for...I don't know how many years! My husband was actually into chickens more than I was at one time...I think I've surpassed him now...:lol:

View attachment 2496972
I absolutely LOVE these!!! ❤
I have so much chicken decor that it has become obnoxious! When I start de-cluttering I think I may actually have a garage sale... I’m getting excited for spring and all the plans I have 😄... hubby won’t be excited though!😳

Well, it sounds like you have lots of new things to be excited for as well! Can’t wait to see your new chickies!

That all sounds exhausting Rene, hope today is a quieter day :hugs
Thank you Debby! :hugs 💞 It shouldn't have been so awful...but it seemed like there was one thing after another and to top it off hubs was stressing so bad...he was driving me crazy, I forgot to mention that when we went to load the Jeep, he couldn't find his keys...I knew that I had seen them in his hand before we left the house, I drove into town per usual! We finally found them under the console on the middle front seat...it folds down for storage and as an armrest! I kept trying to make him happy all day long...but he was so grumpy...this man usually runs on a pretty even keel, but sometimes things just get to him. I was trying to give him space all day, but I finally let him have it last night and told him his stress was not good for him or for me, then I went to bed! He finally came to bed and apologized, he was already forgiven...I was just wore out! Today so far is a better day...he's getting to unwind playing some golf and now I'm getting to unwind visiting with all of you!:love

That feels like what happens when you call someone and before even saying hello a story rushes out. I love it. That was a hectic couple of days. I am wishing you some down time with your feathered friends. Seems like you have earned it.
I don't usually create such long posts...but it was very therapeutic...instead of motor mouth it was motor fingers...lol
Thank you Bob, I am looking forward to a somewhat quieter day!💗 When hubs gets back from golf we will be working on cabinets and rearranging rooms for all of the changes going on here. It shouldn't be too stressful as long as we do a good job of reading each others minds during the process...:gig

Last edited:
Phyllis gets it worse because she is surprised so often but Sydney gets it pretty bad as well. I am not convinced it is because of her looks. It's not really any different than any bottom of the order hen has experienced here. She just doesn't see it coming as well.
I feel that my Salmon Faverolles is picked on and I've often wished that I had purchased two, thinking that might have helped her...but there is no way to know for sure!

I added hens last February but it was unusually warm. It is hard to do construction and integration this time of year. It will likely be March until I can easily expand. 😥
Time constraints and weather are always a huge factor! I hope you can get it done sooner than you're thinking and I hope it helps...someone is always on the bottom of the pecking order, but I can see that Phyllis is very disadvantaged with her cute little mop top! 💗

I absolutely LOVE these!!! ❤
I have so much chicken decor that it has become obnoxious! When I start de-cluttering I think I may actually have a garage sale... I’m getting excited for spring and all the plans I have 😄... hubby won’t be excited though!😳

Well, it sounds like you have lots of new things to be excited for as well! Can’t wait to see your new chickies!
They're really fun...I'm not going to get too many items, just a few, of course I do still want the tile chicken mural for behind my stove...I still don't have hubs convinced about the shelf idea...but he keeps saying it's your kitchen, let me know what you want....I will be holding him to that...:D

I'm excited for spring too, I gently mentioned...er...reminded hubs that I still want to create a mini coop in the enclosed pen...it will work so well for new flock integration, broody jail and maybe an isolation space when someone is ill, but I think that I will still set that up in the garage...it's much easier for me to keep an eye on them that way! I'm also going to put in a few strategically placed fold up benches in the pen, so I will have some nice places to sit and chill with my peeps! I'll be looking forward to see your plans for spring materialize...hubby will get over it and pitch in wholeheartedly for you, I'm sure! 💞

I wish I knew when Josh will be getting them...I told him to give me a couple of days notice so I can get my brooder setup...I think it will happen in the next couple of weeks!

You may rethink that once you see this video of how mean mine is. It is quite disturbing.
ByBob :hugsI have limited vocabulary,,,, have to use spoilers..
soup.PNG

Based on my experience with an unplanned Polish (freebie from a hatchery), they do get picked on.

I had 3, and none of mine got picked on. They were Large Fowl version on these 3. Long ago I did have a bantam. :love Banties my FAV,,,,

I still want to create a mini coop in the enclosed pen...it will work so well for new flock integration, broody jail and maybe an isolation space when someone is ill, but I think that I will still set that up in the garage...it's much easier for me to keep an eye on them that way!

Just my
1611438887556.png

I think a Mini inside run is better, since after a stretch of time in garage, you have to re- integrate. Inside run in Mini keeps that step un-needed.

Back
Top Bottom