Our Mixed Flock Journey!

They are so adorable, I love the crests! There's nothing wrong with your pictures! I'm so glad you found & shared these! 💞

So, if I get a peahen & she starts laying...do you want hatching eggs? I think they would complement the road runners perfectly with their
little crests! 😁
After reading your post I was sufficiently tempted to read some of the articles on the pea fowl forum of BYC.
My conclusion is that I don’t think I can really cope with caring for them.
But if one wandered by I would definitely provide food and shelter to encourage it to stay! 🥰
One thing I read that you should check in is one kind of peacock needs heat to overwinter. I don’t know what kind yours is but it might be worth a bit of research. It sounded like most kinds are hardy.

Really wonderful pictures and he is gorgeous.
I am a bit embarrassed to share these low quality pictures but I randomly found the ones I had taken of the peahen with chicks at the place I was staying.
It was raining so the light isn’t great. But look how cute they are with their little crests! I was also surprised that there is quite a variety in colors.
View attachment 2810530View attachment 2810532View attachment 2810533View attachment 2810535View attachment 2810536
Those are super adorable! Thanks for sharing. 🥰

After reading your post I was sufficiently tempted to read some of the articles on the pea fowl forum of BYC.
My conclusion is that I don’t think I can really cope with caring for them.
But if one wandered by I would definitely provide food and shelter to encourage it to stay! 🥰
One thing I read that you should check in is one kind of peacock needs heat to overwinter. I don’t know what kind yours is but it might be worth a bit of research. It sounded like most kinds are hardy.
I believe the ones that need heat are the Java Peafowl/Green Peafowl! Our guy is of a hardier variety he's an Indian Blue. I really don't want a bunch of Peafowl, so would have to collect eggs or plan on trying to sell any littles. I just don't want him to be lonely and I think having a peahen will help him and her to stay warmer in the winter. There are only 3 varieties of Peafowl. Indian Blue, Java and Congo. The Congo doesn't have the large train!

We will have their water and food in the old chicken pen and we'll put a high roost in there under cover, so hopefully if/when the weather turns to nasty they will decide to roost inside the pen. We have some metal siding that we will be able to use for the roof. I just don't know how soon we will be able to get to it. We have to cut down a bunch of our Poplar trees before more of them fall down and we have several trips coming up. Life definitely hasn't slowed down.

I believe the ones that need heat are the Java Peafowl/Green Peafowl! Our guy is of a hardier variety he's an Indian Blue. I really don't want a bunch of Peafowl, so would have to collect eggs or plan on trying to sell any littles. I just don't want him to be lonely and I think having a peahen will help him and her to stay warmer in the winter. There are only 3 varieties of Peafowl. Indian Blue, Java and Congo. The Congo doesn't have the large train!

We will have their water and food in the old chicken pen and we'll put a high roost in there under cover, so hopefully if/when the weather turns to nasty they will decide to roost inside the pen. We have some metal siding that we will be able to use for the roof. I just don't know how soon we will be able to get to it. We have to cut down a bunch of our Poplar trees before more of them fall down and we have several trips coming up. Life definitely hasn't slowed down.
You are way ahead of me! Yes, Indian Blue are hardy - I remember that from the article.

I really don't want a bunch of Peafowl, so would have to collect eggs
I'm always on the lookout for solutions. :old
1629910377204.png

I'm always on the lookout for solutions. :old
View attachment 2810966
That's a great solution! :) I haven't looked up any information on peafowl eggs for eating, but I assume they would be delicious!

Here's a link to a post from @casportpony, she shared a comparison of Peafowl, duck and turkey eggs. The peafowl eggs are much bigger than duck eggs and slightly bigger than turkey!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peahen-egg-color-and-size.1084948/post-16636755

I have decided to go with the names @Ribh suggested for our peacock and hopefully our soon to acquire peahen! @WhoDatChick ~ maybe one day I will have an Elvis and Priscilla! 😁

Language Sanskrit
Peahen ~ Neela ~ Sapphire Blue
Peacock ~ Shyam ~ Dark Blue

I caught some nice pictures of Shyam today! He was in the front yard and for the first time did not run off when I came outside. Hopefully that will continue! :)

He loves to hang out under our Crab-apple tree in the front yard!
View attachment 2810314

I turned away for a moment and when I turned back I saw that he had his tail fanned out...only to realize that it was the under portion of his beautiful tail feathers:rolleyes:...hopefully one day I will catch him in full display!
Preening!
View attachment 2810319
I love how the sunlight brings out his beautiful colors!
View attachment 2810323
View attachment 2810330

A couple of pictures of his train in different lighting! 💞
View attachment 2810333
View attachment 2810338
He's so handsome!

Back
Top Bottom