Our new coop...in progress

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stitch81, May 24, 2011.

1. stitch81

stitch81 Chirping

May 23, 2011
    First off, I love this site. I had tons of fun looking at all the design ideas for various sized coops. I ended up falling in love with this one:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=66725-wichita-cabin-coop

I decided that I wanted a bit larger coop/run so I dug the footing for a 7 x 14 ft coop/run. The coop portion will be 5 x 7 and will be 2 ft. off the ground so the chickens can have the full 7 x 14ft of space for a run. The kids got in on the action last night "helping" me dig the footing. My husband is building a machine shed here on the farm and the concrete guys told me they usually have a little concrete leftover, and that if I could get the footing dug out and ready, they'd just dump the extra concrete there for me!! So, here is what we have at the moment...

Outline roped off.
    [​IMG]

Digging the footing.
    [​IMG]

My helpers.
    [​IMG]

June 5th update:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. hannalice

hannalice In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Vermont
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to see how the coop comes along!

3. BlueBetween

BlueBetween Songster

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    you picked a good role-model! We learned a lot from those pictures, that and the dark one on the top of the small coop page... great step by steps.

4. weaselslucks

weaselslucks In the Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Southington,Ct
    wow look at the soil! your yard must be a gardeners dream. Cant wait to see the coop

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Songster

[​IMG]

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:I was just thinking that myself!!

Can't wait to see the coop

7. krcote

krcote Songster

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Gorgeous soil!!!

8. Lyssa

Lyssa Chirping

Apr 19, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    [​IMG]
    We're starting a bigger coop this weekend, I can't wait to see more of you progress.

9. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Songster

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    Quote:That's what I was thinking!!

10. stitch81

stitch81 Chirping

May 23, 2011
    It's that good Iowa soil. I'm always amazed when I travel south. I always thought all dirt was black, it was a bit of a shock to find that it could be red as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: