Our new coop progress pics.

I'm having a problem with the absence of floor joists......you need some kind of brace to hold the floor up because the wire is not going to hold up the heaviness of a person or alot of hens or manure for that length of time. Unless you left it open on the poop area and joist rest of the flooring.

Other than that, its great and add some birds in there!

O my goodness--- wish I were in fla
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I have wire under the roosts in two of my other coops. Never had any problems. I don't walk on it. Even is every bird I own got on it it will hold. We are building another coop and it will have a poop pit too. I can rake out under it and the manure goes into our compost piles. It will be similar to one of our other coops except it will have a door on each end and a partition in the middle so I can divide the coop into two sections with a gate inside and external nest boxes.

IMG_2833.jpg

perchie.girl :

How big is it. It looks about 8 x 16 feet. I am designing one myself for the desert and i really like your shutters. We dont get rain but we do get wind big time.
cool.png

I will have two coops that are 8 x 16 and 2 coops that are 8 x 8. We are on a hill with mostly pasture and not many trees, so we get a lot of wind too.​

Quote:
I have an electric fenced chicken runs and yards. If any predator touches the wire they don't come back to test it out again.

Quote:
I have wire under the roosts in two of my other coops. Never had any problems. I don't walk on it. Even is every bird I own got on it it will hold. We are building another coop and it will have a poop pit too. I can rake out under it and the manure goes into our compost piles. It will be similar to one of our other coops except it will have a door on each end and a partition in the middle so I can divide the coop into two sections with a gate inside and external nest boxes.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee237/aliedaw1/IMG_2833.jpg

I like that idea of layout. I have plans to build one with an interior hallway that will access four Coops partitioned for different breeds with nest box access inside. We get temps upwards to 110 degrees out so Direct sun on any portion of the nest would cook an egg nevermind a hen. If I were in a moist climate I would be doing that poop pit setup too. But we are incredibly dry so I am planning on doing deep litter and if that doesnt work for me I have something else cooking in the back of my pea brain. Then again I am not at this point planning on more than about sixty chickens.

Quote:
I have an electric fenced chicken runs and yards. If any predator touches the wire they don't come back to test it out again.

Oorah! I have the same thing, cmom. I have 4 courses of hotwire, beginning at 8" up and ending at 42". I installed 4 stretch-type springs to keep it tight. (See .\\: 'My BYC Page')

Gerry
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom