Our New Urban Coop [PIC Heavy]

I like your coop a lot, neat design.

I am a little worried about snow load on the roof over the hen house portion of your coop. The pitch of the roof looks pretty shallow, you might want to think about getting a rake for pulling heavy snows down.

Thanks everyone!

I was inspired by so many of the coops shown here from people just like us... non-wood builders. If they can make the leap then so could we. Our girls do love it and we're still doing some training on the ladder. The know how to exit in the mornings but like to huddle and clump up by the front door in the evenings. Been placing them half-way up the ladder each night and kinda herding them up into the hen house. It's gotten much easier each day but I figure they'll get the idea soon enough.

They still haven't discovered the roost inside the hen house so that will be my next training.
smile.png

Quote:
I had the same concerns so we added some additional support to the roof that you can not see in the pics and are also prepared with a rake for the roof. I had originally come up with a much higher pitched roof but the recycled materials I had would not allow for it given their length. Our plans now are to take it step by step and stay on top of things this winter. After that we'll evaluate further changes and possible heated coils to help melt off stubborn ice buildup.

Love the coop and love the pics leading up to it. Very instructive and will give people lots of ideas for their future coops.

what did you use as a sealer?

I have a spray gun and I'm considering pulling my hens out in the morning, spraying sealer on everything inside, then letting them back in in the evening.

Quote:
I used Olympic Maximum Semi-Transparent Stain and Sealer colored to what we needed. This was probably the single most 1-item expensive cost that went into our coop. I used around 2 gallons on the shingles, 2 on the frame, and 2 on the hen house. I do have some left over but we're using it for touch-ups and etc. It costs around $30/gal. so like I mentioned... expensive.

My recycled wood and what new wood I had to buy was very, very, thirsty. Thankfully the 2nd coat uses much less and really deepens the color nicely. The water just beads up and rolls right off. Even for such an expensive product it was nice to have and use and I feel comfortable suggesting it. Most people wont have anywhere near the angles and sides that I had to do so your usage/gallon ration would probably be much higher than mine.

Back
Top Bottom