Our Orpingtons! And progress of my roo with Wry Neck

ticketism

Songster
Oct 17, 2015
Queensland, Australia
Hi all! I want to show off some pics of our lovely Orpington family, and chuck in a happy story about one of our boys who was quite sick as a young lad.

His whole saga started quite some time ago, when that little runt of a White Orpington cockerel was about 3 months old... It was quite the journey, and no one thought he would even live. Well, I spent many sleepless nights holding him, squirting vitamins down his throat, cooking him special meals, making him neck braces, and generally stressing myself silly over that goofy little charmer. Well, it's months later now, and my girlfriend and I have long since given him to another family who have loved and cared for him, and he's nearly all grown up! I recently got an update photo of how he's doing now, because unfortunately it's a little hard for us to go visit him! The safe home we found for him was about a 7 hour round drive, because we just refused to give up on him, haha. Call me crazy, but I don't regret a second of it to see him doing so well now. Thought people here might appreciate the photo and how it feels, because everyone else keeps telling me 'So what? It's just a chicken' haha. 'Just a chicken' indeed
1f606.png
We all know what it's like!

So here's Orpy wearing his snazzy toilet roll neck brace at around 3/3.5 months old:

And here's Orpy these days! At about 11-12 months old:

What a handsome lad!

For those interested in the full story, and the entire photo progression including treatment and diet regimen, here's the link to my original thread from when he first took ill.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1066012/twisted-upside-down-head-and-chest-pecking#post_17041497

Anyone else have success stories to share of their chickens with wry neck or other illnesses? I love a good happy ending, and I'd love to see what other people have done to help their feather puppies, haha. Also, any photos of your Orpingtons - Share away!

Here's Orpy's younger sister, Little Star, keeping a clutch of eggs safe the very first time she went broody (about 6.5 months old):

She was so stubbornly broody, we couldn't break it, and she'd just sit there on nothing at all, aggressively defending her imaginary babies. So we decided to let her hatch some, and she proved herself a dedicated and devoted natural mother.

Little Star's babies after all her hard work (10 points if you can guess the breed, haha):

And their other sister - Chai the wonder chicken! This little legend laid her first egg at spot-on 18 weeks, then did it nearly every single day since. Never a soft shell or other abnormality (bar one double yolker about two weeks in) right up until this Winter when she went into her first hard moult and is currently off the lay:

And not a blood relative, but part of our giant fluffy-butted Orpington family nonetheless - This is Harmony, the buff Orpington. She came to us at about 6 weeks old, and is such a little sweetheart:

BONUS! Chicken cuddle time!

Who else loves Orpingtons? =D

I have a nice space in my heart for Australorps =) I'm sure most people here know, but Australorps, or the Australian Orpington, was created by crossing black Orpingtons with Rhode Island Reds, Langshans, and Leghorns. At some points, people even used Plymouth Rocks to bring in certain traits =) The breed was classified as it's own breed (rather than a cross or hybrid) in about 1920ish, from memory, and was bred to be better adapted to our climate... Which obviously is extremely different to that of England! Haha. While keeping most of the original appearance and increasing the utility of the English Orpington breed =) It has since been considered the honorary National Chicken Breed of Australia =D Go Australorps! They're so lovely with those beetle sheen black feathers, bright red faces, and deep black eyes... Such pretty birds!

Show some pics of your Australorps! I'd love to see them =)

And no, the chicks aren't Easter Eggers! I won't give it away just yet in case anyone else wants have a guess, haha. I'm sure Little Star thinks they're just 'funny looking Orpingtons', as she teaches them how to scratch and scruffle... They can fly better than she ever could though xD

Yep, I'm an Aussie too! From QLD =) You? Nice looking girls there! Who's the speckled one in the back? Is that a Sussex?

Orpingtons hunting for huckleberries! That's so funny! We (my Finnish family in Australia) used to get called 'huckleberries' as a derogatory slur... Y'know, like 'Huckleberry Fin'? Hah, pretty stupid insult. I know they were trying to hurt my feelings, but I just thought it sounded funny. So you can imagine 'my Orpingtons are out hunting for wild huckleberries' might just give me a bit of a chuckle there xD Nice looking birds though =) American Orpingtons always seem so much smaller than the English or Australian ones... How old are yours?

And zadebrown01 - That's fine, post away, haha. But it's a no and a no on both counts there. Though you're pretty close with the Barnevelder guess there! The chicks do look extremely similar to Barnevelder chicks, especially at day old... And this photo was taken just hours after they hatched.

Last edited:
Yep, I'm an Aussie too! From QLD =) You? Nice looking girls there! Who's the speckled one in the back? Is that a Sussex?

Orpingtons hunting for huckleberries! That's so funny! We (my Finnish family in Australia) used to get called 'huckleberries' as a derogatory slur... Y'know, like 'Huckleberry Fin'? Hah, pretty stupid insult. I know they were trying to hurt my feelings, but I just thought it sounded funny. So you can imagine 'my Orpingtons are out hunting for wild huckleberries' might just give me a bit of a chuckle there xD Nice looking birds though =) American Orpingtons always seem so much smaller than the English or Australian ones... How old are yours?

And zadebrown01 - That's fine, post away, haha. But it's a no and a no on both counts there. Though you're pretty close with the Barnevelder guess there! The chicks do look extremely similar to Barnevelder chicks, especially at day old... And this photo was taken just hours after they hatched.
Ive never heard huckleberry as an insult before. That's pretty funny.

Back
Top Bottom