Our partridge Brahma

Thank you 💕. My 12 year old is crying. Our city doesn’t allow roosters. She’s asking me about anti crow devices. Does anyone know if they’re safe? At least to give her time to let go of him...

Yes, you will need to find him another home, but he probably does not need to be gone tomorrow. And you might not need any anti-crow devices.

Is he crowing yet? Some cockerels start crowing before 2 months old, while a few rare ones wait until after 8 months. Brahmas tend to mature somewhat slowly. Also, a cockerel's first attempts at crowing aren't proper crows--so you'll have some warning before he really sounds like a proper rooster.

You say you're not allowed to have "roosters," but check how that is defined. If a male chicken is forbidden only after he reaches a certain age, then you have that long to find him a new home.

It’s so sad today I heard the beginning of his crow this morning. I have the velcro collar but I am kinda sad to put it on my little guy. My heart breaks thinking I have to give him up, as today I saw his reaction when he heard my voice from the balcony he ran in the run to look for me. I found a farm that will take him in on 7 lush acres. I also looked into the local humane society but several people reviews said they were treated like criminals for surrendering animals. It’s hard enough to have me and my daughters sad to see him go that I don’t need people being mean. So calling the farm soon. Fog horn leg horn I am not :confused:

Yes, it is hard to part with a chicken you're particularly attached to.

But it sounds like you've found a good home for him :)

I know how it is parting with a rooster you're fond with. I have to do that with phoenixes every year when do they start crowing since my alpha will start trying to kill them. He's fine with then as long as they don't crow or try to breed but once they do I only have a few days

Back
Top Bottom