Our School's Poor FFA Project Chickens

I think there are folks interested. I'm looking to keep a couple off the dinner table, if possible. I've read stories of rescues, and I would like to help, but not if it will harm my current flock!

I sent an email to UC Davis lab. We'll see what they say.

I see what you mean about rescuing chickens, can be a lot of trouble for your current flock. Same with keeping them out of people's freezers, although admittedly FFA kids generally raise animals for just that purpose. Maybe not laying hens though.
I was kind of pondering the possibilities (if I had a coop that is) because there are no poultry at this property and have not been in I have no idea how long. No other chickens to contaminate, if you will. And butchering them in city limits here isn't legal

I see what you mean about rescuing chickens, can be a lot of trouble for your current flock. Same with keeping them out of people's freezers, although admittedly FFA kids generally raise animals for just that purpose. Maybe not laying hens though.
I was kind of pondering the possibilities (if I had a coop that is) because there are no poultry at this property and have not been in I have no idea how long. No other chickens to contaminate, if you will. And butchering them in city limits here isn't legal
There are still 12 (or 14 if I decide not to take any). Two roosters. The roosters were not aggressive at all, although one looked a bit perturbed when I picked up one of the hens. I took her from the coop to put the band on her.

I don’t think the school should be allowed to keep live animals again in the near future. I would contact the administrators and inform them. The FFA leader at the school should be responsible.

I agree with this. Whoever was in charge isn't a very good example for the kids just up and abandoning animals like that. Growing up I was in 4H and FFA and this is just sad and there are laws against this type of behavior for a reason. Shines a bad light on all of us and if the nutjobs at peta got wind of it they would have a field day.

Back
Top Bottom