Our School's Poor FFA Project Chickens

I agree about our school. I am a big fan of FFA, but not our school's program. I will make as big a stink as I can!

I'm a firm supporter and think schools need programs like this. That said if they can't hire somebody responsible it should be shut down. IMHO whoever hired and put the person in charge is just as guilty as the person in charge.

Surprised some of the kids in the program didn't want to just take all the animals home between them all before they got to such a state of neglect. Chickens should be easy - even just use a large dog crate for a mini coop at nite for a while for a few birds. If there were other larger animals - not as easy to house if not already set up for it.
Where I live you can get harsher penalties for animal neglect than you do for crimes against people.
I hope all get to a home soon and next year someone actually takes ownership of that program - even to plan ahead for animal homes (with backup to backups) in case of possible stay at home orders.

Surprised some of the kids in the program didn't want to just take all the animals home between them all before they got to such a state of neglect. Chickens should be easy - even just use a large dog crate for a mini coop at nite for a while for a few birds. If there were other larger animals - not as easy to house if not already set up for it.
Where I live you can get harsher penalties for animal neglect than you do for crimes against people.
I hope all get to a home soon and next year someone actually takes ownership of that program - even to plan ahead for animal homes (with backup to backups) in case of possible stay at home orders.
I'm working on it. Slow going right now because everyone's hyper-focused on distance learning.

Ok, good people of BYC. I need tour help!

My mom and I want to pick up the 2 I want to rescue asap. That means they'll have to move twice, but we don't want to leave them to languish. That means I gotta house them in the yard - completely away from my flock - for a few weeks.

Now, once I move, I'll have lots of room and an extra coop (the property has a shed I'm going to convert, and I could use the temporary one my flock is currently in for the rescues). So right now, I don't have an extra coop.

I do have a large cage (12 sq ft) I use as a brooder that would need serious work to become predator proof. Not impossible, but it's 104 today, and I dont wanna do construction.

I also have an old dog house that is smaller. It would need a new door to keep the nasties out, but easy enough. It's about 8 sq ft. The rescues would get the side of the house as a run, so they won't be in the coop all day.

Should I go for bigger (more work) or safer (much smaller)? Gotta do this by tomorrow.

Smaller first fast -- then work on better step by step as you can. Maybe even take some pics/video to inspire others to do the same for the rest of the birds.

This might be an opportunity for you to document how to do emergency housing (not perfect, just serve the immediate purpose) and get that into the lessons taught in future across the FFA system if it's not already.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom