Our six new babies....trying to determine if they are truly the breeds that they were sold as :-)

DimondaleBergs

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 28, 2013
Hello everyone!
This is our first "batch" of "non-hybrid" chicks
wee.gif
They were purchased at a local feed store and we would love to know if they are truly the breeds they were sold as. Not that it matters, because we've only had them a day and truly love them already. I'd love to sound knowledgeable when talking about my new peeps.
jumpy.gif

So here goes...

"Araucana #1

"Araucana" #2

"Barred Rock" #1

"Barred Rock" #2

"Buff Orpington" #1

"Buff Orpington" #2

Thanks in advance
bow.gif

What cute little chicks! Good luck with them. The Barred Plymouth Rocks chicks look like what I expect, the Buff Orpingtons do also if their feet are pink/white in color irl, (Buff Plymouth Rocks would have yellow feet). The first two look like what are usually called Easter Eggers on BYC, hatcheries often sell them incorrectly as Araucana/Ameraucana which are breeds with a physical standard, the Ameraucana club has a nice explanation of the difference on its website http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html

What cute little chicks! Good luck with them. The Barred Plymouth Rocks chicks look like what I expect, the Buff Orpingtons do also if their feet are pink/white in color irl, (Buff Plymouth Rocks would have yellow feet). The first two look like what are usually called Easter Eggers on BYC, hatcheries often sell them incorrectly as Araucana/Ameraucana which are breeds with a physical standard, the Ameraucana club has a nice explanation of the difference on its website http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html

Thanks...I believe you're right about the EE's. I'm excited to see what they look like when they feather out. The Buffs both have yellow feet/legs. So I guess they are Buff Plymouth Rocks? Can you tell me what the difference will be?
Thanks

Hatchery birds don't always meet the standard so far as leg color and other minor details go ... if they are really rocks, they aren't that different than orps to me, hatchery ones usually the same general size and type, orps are usually pretty far down the pecking order, one thing is rocks are not as broody so I tend to like them better since they do lay more eggs ime.

Back
Top Bottom