Our soon to be new home

Boggy Bottom Bantams

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Hahira, GA
Future Boggy Bottom Bantam homestead, lol.
love.gif

My husband and I just inherited 150 acres of farm land and will be moving our trailer onto it in a few weeks. Its still in the proses of being cleaned but I wanted to show you anyway, lol.
big_smile.png
bun.gif

This is a pic of our driveway leading up to where our house will go.

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

This is where our house is going.

IMG_1219.jpg

This is the 12 acre pond in our front yard, well not directly IN our front yard but between us and the road. Its all grown up now but it will look better once we clean it.

IMG_1220.jpg

wee.gif
Im soooo excited!!

BEAUTIFUL!!!! How lucky! Round my parts that would be a stupid subdivision by now.
he.gif
Good to see there's still untouched land in the south.

ps that last picture: I would rent a wood chipper and start a mulch/compost pile with all that wood and some chicken poo.
wink.png

Awesome! Watch for gators and cotton mouths when you clean that pond lol :eek: It will look beautiful once you have some ducks and geese on it...and cant wait to see all the pens...you going to make some new breeder facilitys?
big_smile.png

Looks great. Congratulations.
One word of warning: Anytime land is cleared where a lot of trees were, and you see a really tall skinny tree with branches only at the top, that's a tree that can likely come down in a wind storm. When it was amongst the other trees that surrounded it, it was protected. Now, out in the open, it is vulnerable. You may want to think about taking it down if your home will be within "hitting/landing" distance.
Best wishes for happiness on your 150 acre property!
Brian

Southern28Chick : Round my parts that would be a stupid subdivision by now.

Well, they actually tried to buy it out from under my husbands grandaddy a few years back so that they could turn it into a subdivision. But come to fined out, after a bunch of legal mambo jumbo, they weren't able too, THANK GOD! But that didn't stop them from buying the 100 or so acres of land next to us and putting one there.
barnie.gif

SamG347: Watch for gators and cotton mouths when you clean that pond lol. It will look beautiful once you have some ducks and geese on it...and cant wait to see all the pens... you going to make some new breeder facilitys?

Oh Yes, we will definitely look out for the gators and the cotton mouths. My husband already found some huge oak snakes and beavers but so far thats been it.
fl.gif

Once we get the pond all cleaned up, hopefully by the end of this year, we'll be getting some ducks and geese. My husband use to breed ducks when he was in his teens, he even took care for some ducks for the Bronx Zoo. But due to low funding he had to sell everything. He is so excited now that we're going to start breeding ducks again.
Yes, we started Boggy Bottom Bantams about 2 years ago, just breeding bantam chickens at the time. And now we breed Turkeys and Pheasants too. Hopefully we'll be starting the Ducks and Geese next year. We live on a one acre lot right now so its going to be nice to have a big enough place to do what we want to do. My husband is already drawing out the plans for the new chicken coops and pins.
smile.png

sawyer: When is the open house??

Hopefully by next year we'll have every thing up and running. We'll definitely have to have a big open house party. And you're all invited!!
ya.gif
woot.gif
bun.gif

Brian:One word of warning: Anytime land is cleared where a lot of trees were, and you see a really tall skinny tree with branches only at the top, that's a tree that can likely come down in a wind storm. When it was amongst the other trees that surrounded it, it was protected. Now, out in the open, it is vulnerable. You may want to think about taking it down if your home will be within "hitting/landing" distance.
Best wishes for happiness on your 150 acre property!

Oh yes Brian, we have put that into consideration. Thats why the only trees left are the hard woods, mainly oak trees. The ones around where our house is going are all big, squatty, oaks and they are all grouped together. We just had a huge storm come threw here a week or so ago, it was very windy and it dumped 8 inches of rain on us, and no trees fell. So I think well be fine. Plus our friend who is helping w/ the land clean up knows all about that and has given the best advice possible as to where our house should go. Even tho its surrounded by oaks, its fare enough away from them so that if a limb fell it wont fall on our house.
smile.png

I also wanted to add that not all the land is wooded area. Its an actual working farm, we have 3 huge fields for cotton, tobacco, and peanuts. Its so beautiful.
love.gif

I was gonna ask if you are going to keep it a working farm and plant crops and all that. Also, a thing about the pond, watch out for the turtles, they will gladly take a few ducklings or even smaller ducks. It looks awesome, I wish we had more land, around here, the lots keep getting divided all the time, and in the next 20 years or so, our little town will be a suburb of Spokane at the rate the new subdivisions are going up.

Back
Top Bottom