Our wonderful cockerel

Lost in France

Hatching
Mar 31, 2020
Just want to share and get any tips from other poultry lovers.
Our cockerel, Buster, has, I think, ro
reached his last hours. He was born with us 15 years ago in June so you can imagine my sadness watching him leave us. He's gentle and friendly and just always around. This morning he managed to follow a hen to his favourite sunbathing spot but after a while walked, very slowly back and I lifted him into the henhouse. He isn't interested in food today but drinking so I out minerals and wormer in his water. (Wormer because today he has very green poo) .
I sense he wants to be left calm but I want to cuddle him but that's for me not him. I can't bear the thought of him leaving us.
Judi

I have a very old chicken...12 plus years old...so I understand. :hugs
Everyone else wanders about but she lays under the pine tree most of the time.
Her poop is still perfect! :D She's a SLW, I do wonder what breed your rooster is.
He's had a good life that most poultry, esp roosters, do not get....you can feel good about that.

Wow, that is one old rooster. My heart is with you.
What breed is he?
I hope you have hatched a lot of his offspring over the years.
Buster is a silkie cross.....he was one of 7....all the others were black silkies and....then there was him, twice the size and totally different. We kept him because he was he was/is stunning....handsome cuckoo in the nest!

Very sorry to hear about Buster going downhill, but you have done a very good job keeping him healthy all these years. I would make him comfortable and feed him any of his favorite treats. If you have any pictures of him that you would like to share, we would love to see them.

Last edited:
Buster is a silkie cross.....he was one of 7....all the others were black silkies and....then there was him, twice the size and totally different. We kept him because he was he was/is stunning....handsome cuckoo in the nest!
Awww my very first rooster was a silkie...I saved him from a farm....he was my little guy.

Buster is almost gone. He survived the night but today is too weak to drink. He is in front of the Aga with the kitchen door open, just in case he can still hear, so he can hear familiar birdsong outside. I haven't posted a photo....think looking through photos would upset me more than I already am. Maybe later but not the right time for me now.
My beautiful Cockerel, over 14 years of companionship.....
Thank you all for your replies...folks who love their birds as much as I do...😢

Back
Top Bottom