Out of curiosity, what would be better for a horse? Update! Post# 28

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Sep 11, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Just a discussion DH and I were having last night. What would be a better situation for a horse?

A one acre lot with nothing to graze, hay and grain provided only when the horses owners can afford it, but with a lean-to pieced together from tin...

OR

About ten acres fenced, with daily care and feedings, plenty of grass to graze; no lean-to, but plenty of trees in a small forest to seek shelter from the weather?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    ... is this a trick question? [​IMG]
    I think option #2 sounds better for the horse.

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    #2 definitely. Our horses are outside all the time. They have a run in shed, but hardly EVER use it. They prefer to be under trees.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Are you sure this is for a horse? [​IMG] I think you're fixin' to raise Arkansas Moose! [​IMG] [​IMG] The horses can handle the weather. The bigger the better for exercise. [​IMG]

5. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:#2 but blankets, and fly masks should be provided..

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I'm confused how option #1 would even be an option? Dry lot with nothing to graze and feed only provided when owner can afford it? Soooo, horse eats nothing when owner can't afford it?

And a lean-to pieced together from tin? Not a good idea for a horse. To many sharp edges, hooves can go right through it if they kick it, just to many opportunities for injury prone horses to get hurt. But that's just my humble opinion!

Option #2 in this case seems to be the only real option if those are the only two available. My horses always stayed outside all the time but they did have access to a solid run in shed and they did use it during extended rainy weather and especially in the summer they really appreciated the shade.

7. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    option number 2 is decent , a shelter other than trees is needed tho. as for fly masks and blankets, why would they need those? we have shelters for our mini horses most of the time they stand out in the snow with their rears to the wind LOL silly horses, we have never blanketed our horses in the winter, and never had fly masks either...

8. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    My vote is also option 2.

9. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    In my experience the horse would choose option two. I think it is always best to put your money in more space and grass than in a nice barn or stable. If given the choice my horses don't even use the barn or the run in much.

10. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Option Number 1

Just because I like to argue. [​IMG]

No, seriously #2 all the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by