Out of the blue incident with show hen, overnight issues

Momagain1

Songster
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Central IL
Hello all.

Monday morning my son found our not quite 2 yr old
Spangled hamburg on the ground flopping.

We instantly thought predator attack, however no outward
Injuries & no other hen in our flock of 35+ had any signs of anything.

Upon closer look we found she had mites which we immediately
Treated. She is now free of mites but second course of treatment
Scheduled for Monday.
No Other birds had any mites but treated as precaution.

She has a pretty bad crossed beak which she did not have
Before.

She is also unable to stand on her own. Took to vet, he thought anemia
Due to mites and syringe feed her for strength.

Well today we have bath because she was covered in
Feces due to not being able to
Move position on own.

She can slightly stand if we support her. If we let go she
Instantly falls to side and flops.

I thought mareks disease but she is generally too old to have it

I am afraid we will have to cull her but want to give her a fighting chance
But it's been since Monday when we found her.

Opinions?

What happened to your hen reminds me of something that happened to one of my 1 1/2 year old bantam roosters this summer. One morning, he was found laying on the ground, unable to stand. I isolated him and began giving vitamins, but he soon lost interest in eating. I had to spoon feed him a mixture of vitamins, feed, and water in order for him to survive. After a few days of this, he developed a wheeze, so I purchased some Tylan200 injectable and began giving him once daily injections (.3ccs). By the second day, he could stand for short periods of time. By the 4th day, he could walk and move around on his own. I really don't know what was ever wrong with him, but I suspect that some sort of infection caused his weakness, and was cured with the antibiotic.

Of course, that is not to say that your hen has the same problem--I just noticed the similarities. I agree with you in that your hen probably does not have Marek's disease, as she is old. I'm sure the mites have at least played a small factor in her weakness, so the extra care and mite treatment should help. Is it possible that her beak has suddenly become crossed because she was injured/attacked by something? If the cross beak has been there for a while, she probably hasn't been eating much, which could also explain her weakness.

As for treatment, I'd continue syringe feeding her and giving vitamins, if possible. You could also try an antibiotic, just in case it is some sort of infection. But if she doesn't recover in a week or so, it might be kinder to cull her.

we have given her the syringe feeding, which of course she balks at occasionally and has the energy to flip her beak away and
of course the junk goes everywhere lol...

however, she is just lying in my bathtub on a towel....sigh...

she is quite thin. We have tetracycline already, I guess we will try that just in case...but I doubt I get hubby to put
more money out, we already did a vet trip, etc...so he will not be willing to put anymore money out for a different
antibiotic.

We will give her to about Monday or so, unless she changes for the worse. I hate to cull her, but its not looking
good.

Is it possible she has always had scissor/crossed beak,it may be been overlooked,cross beaks need to be trimmed as they continue to grow and chickens are not able to naturally file them down. You could try adding warm water to feed this might make it easier for her to eat. A severe case of mites will definitely cause anemia,feed her scrambled eggs,other foods high in protein,also give her vitamins until she shows signs of improvement. Signs of being anemic are pale comb/wattles,weight loss,lethargic,drop in egg production,change in eating habits. It is going to take awhile for her to become healthy again,give her time. If you are sure her cross beak is a recent event,then they only thing that it could be is a injury,any sign of injury to beak or surrounding area? I am giving a link for scissor beak just in case.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/03/scissor-beak-aka-crossed-beak-what-it.html

Thais for the reply.

My son says she has always had scissor beak..however
She wasn't disqualified at showing.

She wants to peck badly..

She has never laid an egg-- ever.
Actually ALL of our show hens from this one
Seller has never laid eggs.

Wonder if maybe they are much much older than
What he sold them to us as?

Back
Top Bottom