Out with (most of) the old, in with the new

Billy Hill

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
Rural San Diego
Our last group of chickens is down to 1 left. We got 3 more a few months ago. Two weeks ago we moved them outside and this week introduced them to each other. I put my dog's kennel next to the coop and put the new chickens in the kennel.

After 3 or 4 days I let them out so Big Bird could come have a look. She pecked a bit here and there but didn't actively go after them unless they looked like they had a better plot of ground at which point she would move in and took over.

Every time I let the girls out of the kennel to free range they would go into Big Bird's coop and snack or roll in the dust. At dusk they'd find their way back to their kennel.

After less than a week I moved their box out of the kennel into the coop and while the girls were in the coop snacking I closed them in then threw Big Bird in at dusk, then closed the kennel so they couldn't get in the next day.

Next day I opened the coop and they all came out for the day, with dog and cats, then went back in at dusk. Looks like the transition was pretty simple, much simpler than I thought it would be.

Man, I had my chicks in the bathroom for 3 weeks before I couldn't take it anymore and put them outside. Of course this was last spring when the weather was a bit warmer.

I hope my transition goes as well as yours has.

Back
Top Bottom