Getting my hens to lay in their kennel/cage?

Amelise

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Southern U.S
So, I have upcoming junior shows and I’ve been kenneling my two of my hens at night and until I let them out in the morning or noon to get them used to being in a caged environment. I will occasionally find an egg in either kennel, but sometimes the hens refuse to lay and get pretty frantic (flapping, climbing on the food and water troughs, jumping, being very loud) unless I let them out of their cage to go to the nesting boxes.

I have two small carrier cages that I’ve used as temporary nest boxes before (when all the nest boxes were full with other hens, to prevent fighting.) ( carrier kennels NOT PICTURED)
So for the days that they are at the poultry building before the judging and after the judging I could always take them out of the show coop and place them in the travel kennels to lay their eggs. However, taking your bird out of the cage during judging is off-limits. (Understandably, of course.)
I’m worried that my girls may become frantic or endure excessive stress if the need to lay occurs during this time.
All I can think to do is hope for the best and not worry about it. But if anyone has any solutions or training ideas, I’d be grateful! IMG_7851.jpeg Pictures of the training kennels attached.

Attachments

• IMG_7850.jpeg
    IMG_7850.jpeg
    796.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7852.jpeg
    IMG_7852.jpeg
    493.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7853.jpeg
    IMG_7853.jpeg
    797.1 KB · Views: 2
Can you have a small nest inside the cage in the show???

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,, on your show,,,,,,, :thumbsup
Maybe?? I think in a normal show it would be considered marking, but when I showed at the Ft. Worth Jr. poultry show last year they were pretty lax on that. (A lot of people bringing their own feeders and waterers, stuff sitting by the show cage, etc.)

The show coops over there are a bit bigger than the kennels I’m using now. I’m just not sure what I would make the tiny nest out of. I small box with a hand towel? (My girls like to lay in towels.) I’m not sure.

Maybe?? I think in a normal show it would be considered marking, but when I showed at the Ft. Worth Jr. poultry show last year they were pretty lax on that
Ask someone to see if it's allowed. You can't be the only one with this issue.
small box with a hand towel? (My girls like to lay in towels.)
Ask specifically about this. Maybe just the towel would be enough. If it's allowed, then start getting the girls used to laying on it.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom