Outbreak!!! Bulging eye and unable to walk

tombraider23

In the Brooder
May 16, 2022
I am looking for advice for my flock. Please bear with me. I could really use the help. Age ranges from 2 weeks to 6 months with a total of around 75.

Middle of last week a 4 month old Pullet started wheezing, gasping for air, coughing and sneezing. Also bad diarrhea. She had her left eye closed and doesn’t like to open it for the past 2 weeks. She was on ointment which didn’t work. The next one a 4 month old also started similar symptoms with breathing but no eye issues or diarrhea. Called vet and put the whole flock on antibiotics. Majority improved.

2 days ago the first 4 month olds eye was protruding/bulging. Called the vet and waited for a response.

While waiting another one last night started having an issue with balance. Now today he is completely unable to walk and barley able to move. He is also 4 months old. He has very bad diarrhea that is stuck all over him because he can barely move.

The 2 and 4 week old are showing no symptoms and have not shown any at all. The 1 month olds, 1 out of 7 showing breathing issues that is getting better.

The vet finally called back. They are worried it’s either mareks, bird flu or mycoplasma that’s very serious for the few that are worse. There is nothing else they are able to do.

We won’t know for sure unless/until we do an necropsy.

Anyone experience something similar? I don’t know if I should humane put the 2 down or supportive care.

For the chicken that can’t walk and the one with the bulging eye. What do you recommend? The vet said there is nothing else she can do for them until the pass away and we do testing. I’m not sure if either are in pain or not. I really don’t want to cull them as they are pets and not livestock to us. But if it’s the most humane thing then we will. would supportive care be best or humanely putting them down?

Attachments

• 7C2D83A6-5F79-46D9-AC47-CEAF3191EDAF.jpeg
    7C2D83A6-5F79-46D9-AC47-CEAF3191EDAF.jpeg
    615.5 KB · Views: 31
  • A0605BF9-FED4-412E-8404-BBB0FA966A90.jpeg
    A0605BF9-FED4-412E-8404-BBB0FA966A90.jpeg
    626.6 KB · Views: 8
I'm so sorry about your cockerel. There is a good article here, my journey was similar:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-i-learned-to-deal-with-mareks-disease.76944/
I also have Marek's in my flock, I decided to try to breed for resistance. That is a years long endeavor, and I'm a long time from any conclusions on that. So far it's manageable for me, I could change my mind at any time. There are many articles on Marek's. My personal experience is that symptoms can vary greatly depending on the strain you are dealing with, and each birds immune system. I've not had the progressive paralysis that so many articles talk about, at least not yet (going on 3 years). I've had mostly occular symptoms, with some with visceral tumors. Some have taken years to progress, some have shown no symptoms until they get ill and pass within a few days. Those are the ones that I find tumors in. I've lost young birds and old. I still have birds in the 7 - 8 year old range that are still symptom free.
What I'm trying to say, is that the literature is great for learning, but your personal experience may diverge from that, at least sometimes. One of the worst parts of Marek's is that it can compromise the immune system leaving them open to other things.
But it can be manageable, it just really depends on your own philosophy on keeping them and what you are willing to deal with. Sorry you are dealing with it, and I wish you the best, whatever you decide going forward.

The necropsy came back. That poor baby had so much wrong with him! It did come back as mareks. So doing a bunch of research. His brain was swollen his internal organs had lesions and 3X their size and he had lymphoma through out his whole body. He wasn’t showing any signs up until the day before.
Thank you all for your help and knowledge
:hugs I'm sorry about your cockerel.

This must be heartbreaking, but at least you now have a good idea of what you are dealing with and can begin some research about the disease and how to hopefully manage symptoms.
While Marek's is a terrible and puzzling disease, there's many here on BYC that have Marek's positive flocks. One thing they seem to have in common is they have not lost hope. Yes, they have grieved over losing birds, understandably so, but they have also dug in, researched and found a way to push forward.
Good advice and article link from @coach723

Thank you for sharing the diagnosis and I wish you all the best.

The necropsy came back. That poor baby had so much wrong with him! It did come back as mareks. So doing a bunch of research. His brain was swollen his internal organs had lesions and 3X their size and he had lymphoma through out his whole body. He wasn’t showing any signs up until the day before.
Thank you all for your help and knowledge

@tombraider23 I am so sorry, and do not know what is going on, it sounds like the vet won't know until he can do a necropsy. Any birds that seem to be in pain or unable to move, I think I would cull. Especially after what the vet has said. If they seem to be doing okay, eating, drinking, regular chicken stuff, I would wait for the necropsy. If you cull the one that is in the worst shape, you can bring it to the vet and perhaps get an answer quicker. Hang in there and keep us posted on what you find out.
Where in the world are you and welcome to BYC.

The vet finally called back. They are worried it’s either mareks, bird flu or mycoplasma that’s very serious for the few that are worse. There is nothing else they are able to do.
Well, that's an interesting list of choice diseases.
Did the vet not offer any testing at all?

Contact your state lab (info below) and ask how they would like for you to submit a bird and/or samples for testing so you can find out what you are dealing with. Once you have that info, then you'll know how to move forward - whether that's treating and managing symptoms long term, culling, etc.

You mention they show some improvement with antibiotics. What antibiotic did the vet prescribe?
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) is a highly contagious reportable disease where the state would come in and cull your flock. Doesn't seem like this is what you are dealing with since your vet didn't seem concerned enough to have your state do testing for this disease. It's a virus, there's no treatment, mortality rate is very high, antibiotics likely would not even help, your birds would be dead by now...so I'd rule that one out.

Mycoplasma. This is a fairly common bacteria-like respiratory disease. Symptoms can respond to antibiotic treatment. Birds remain carriers, but they can "recover" and live. MG does affect the overall health of the bird, the reproductive system and production - so later on down the road, there can be some complications and/or conditions that arise. Relapses can be common especially during times of stress, new birds that are brought in will likely become sick. It's important to keep a closed flock when you have MG, no new birds in or out. Some folks will cull and start over after a period of time. Others choose to keep a closed flock and manage symptoms.

Marek's. Well, it's a complicated frustrating viral disease. Managing symptoms as they arise is a practice most take. Culling the sickest is another practice. Marek's lives in the environment for a long time, so most do not cull all and try to start over.

While you are waiting on testing and determining what's your next course of action. See that your birds are eating/drinking well. Provide a nutritionally balanced chick starter or all flock feed. Offer supportive care. Clean eyes with saline, press out pus/bubbles and apply Terramycin in the eyes of those that have swelling. Do this a couple of times a day.
Depending on what antibiotic your vet gave you, you can try a different one - again, getting that testing will tell you more!

I'm sorry that you're facing this, it must be heartbreaking to deal with.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
Iowa State University
1850 Christensen Drive
Ames, IA 50011-1134
Phone: 515-294-1950
https://www.vetmed.iastate.edu/vdl/

We took him to the vet this afternoon. They put him down and will be sending his body for a necropsy at Iowa state tomorrow morning. I should get the results in a few days.
I'm so sorry.... But now you will know what you're dealing with so you can better help your flock. What a long sad situation.

Back
Top Bottom