Outcast duck

This would be the best plan that way the bullied boy will have company and the 2 bullies will have each other.
I remember OP said that when she puts the neutral duck in with the bullied one, neutral yells and screams and won't stop because he wants to be with the bullies. do you think this would stop after a while?

It should. After all how loud can a drake get? He needs to bond with the Pekin so he has a buddy. We have to do what we can to make their lives as stress free as possible. I’m wondering if OP moved one of the bullies in with the Pekin if that may work out maybe separating the bullies from each other might stop their ganging up. Of course she’d have to make sure she watches how this worked out.

I always try to separate my one being picked on in a space that gives it plenty of room but where it can see the others and they can see it so that it does not get lonely. That seems to work for me. When I had to put my Muscovy Drake in jail with my Mallard/Rouen though it tried to mate the poor smaller Mallard/Rouen so I rehomed it and also ended up rehoming the other one as it kept over mating one particular female and making its head bleed when he had 11 to chose from and he was the only drake.

When i got up today, i found my Pekin duck had all the feathers on the back of his neck ripped out and he was bleeding, breathing really hard, covered in mud (more than usual) and not moving from a certain spot. As i spent time out there i figured out which two of my other ducks were ganging up on him because they went at it again. I admit that my Pekin is my favorite and i got rather angry with the other two and separated the problem birds. All day my Pekin has been on the outskirts of the yard and refuses to go near any of the ducks. Hours went by and i tried to see if things had cooled down but they instantly went back to attacking him. Now at the end of the day nothing has changed. He breathes really hard like he's panicking when he sees the problem ducks, too. They're all males. What can i do (besides eat the other two)?
I live in Southern Maine. Through a bit of misfortune I am looking to expand my flock of 2, and no longer have a male. If we could meet in between somewhere, or if you wanted to come check out the possible new home.... But, I will take him.
I have 2 females- a cayuga and a Pekin. We love the pekins.
Our ducks live in a big run with chickens and Geese,each with their own corral, and free to range during the day... All very good interactions with each other. No nonsense allowed. I think he may do well?
I am familiar with the neck injuries- why we had to reduce our males by one.
I do plan on getting more, either now or in the Spring... all females. So, he will be king.

20231223_121701.jpg

@Dgorman
Did one of your 8-year-olds do this? You need to go back and separate the 2 youngest from the 2 oldest if they did this. Start over by keeping them separated but where they can see each other, if you have to coop them all together a dog crate works great for keep the one protected that has been injured. Clean the wound real good with saline and spray Veterycin on it .
Explain please.

Cheese my Drake is eight his mate Mac she is also eight the other two hens Gouda and angel baby are 6 years old
Welcome to Backyard Chickens Ducks thread.

I think you misposted this as I think you wanted to introduce yourself, not respond to @AeroMartin' post

You have a mature flock. What sort of ducks are they? Do the females still lay eggs?

Back
Top Bottom