Outcast duck

AeroMartin

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2023
When i got up today, i found my Pekin duck had all the feathers on the back of his neck ripped out and he was bleeding, breathing really hard, covered in mud (more than usual) and not moving from a certain spot. As i spent time out there i figured out which two of my other ducks were ganging up on him because they went at it again. I admit that my Pekin is my favorite and i got rather angry with the other two and separated the problem birds. All day my Pekin has been on the outskirts of the yard and refuses to go near any of the ducks. Hours went by and i tried to see if things had cooled down but they instantly went back to attacking him. Now at the end of the day nothing has changed. He breathes really hard like he's panicking when he sees the problem ducks, too. They're all males. What can i do (besides eat the other two)?

Do you have enough space and fencing to keep them separated? As for Me personally I don't tolerate bullies. I would likely either eat or rehome the bullies. But a lot of the nicer kinder duck people here would say give them a chance and just keep them penned and cooped separately for a while (weeks? months? im not sure... how long it takes until their hormones stop raging)

I would like to keep them all intact, haha- i can kind of keep them separate, i only have space for two groups. But two ducks are bullies, one doesn't participate and the other is outcast by everyone now.. I'm afraid the mean ones will take to bullying the neutral but he doesn't want anything to do with the Pekin and quacks incessantly if separated from the bullies.

Can you put the 2 bullies separated from the other 2? That would be the best plan. They can even be close so they can see each other but not attack your poor Pekin.
@thumper650 had all drakes and he kept all of them separated with fencing during the worst of hormone season dog crates work great for giving them protection in the coop.

Putting your Pekin through that kind of stress may eventually kill him so don't let it continue.

When i got up today, i found my Pekin duck had all the feathers on the back of his neck ripped out and he was bleeding, breathing really hard, covered in mud (more than usual) and not moving from a certain spot. As i spent time out there i figured out which two of my other ducks were ganging up on him because they went at it again. I admit that my Pekin is my favorite and i got rather angry with the other two and separated the problem birds. All day my Pekin has been on the outskirts of the yard and refuses to go near any of the ducks. Hours went by and i tried to see if things had cooled down but they instantly went back to attacking him. Now at the end of the day nothing has changed. He breathes really hard like he's panicking when he sees the problem ducks, too. They're all males. What can i do (besides eat the other two)?
What genders are the ducks? And what season is it where you are? feathers ripped out of the back of the neck is usually a rape attempt and you def need to kero the victimised duck sep from the others. I have never seen makes do this to another make except during breeding season, which here in NZ is ramping up now. When they do this the victimised bird is very much in danger of being killed.
You need to remove him from ALL of them immediately and put him with some nice broody friendly females and not let him near those boys or they will kill him.

i am not kidding, ive seen drakes do thus to other drakes, its horrible. If his neck has been ripped put, its bad enough to remove him as if theres enough males they can kill him overnight within 12 hrs or less. If hes bleeding, he's already beyond that stage and must be removed. I hoe you read this in time and separate him from the others. Feel free to pm me for advice on this as ive dealt with it in drakes before

Back
Top Bottom