Outcast duck

What genders are the ducks? And what season is it where you are? feathers ripped out of the back of the neck is usually a rape attempt and you def need to kero the victimised duck sep from the others. I have never seen makes do this to another make except during breeding season, which here in NZ is ramping up now. When they do this the victimised bird is very much in danger of being killed.
You need to remove him from ALL of them immediately and put him with some nice broody friendly females and not let him near those boys or they will kill him.

i am not kidding, ive seen drakes do thus to other drakes, its horrible. If his neck has been ripped put, its bad enough to remove him as if theres enough males they can kill him overnight within 12 hrs or less. If hes bleeding, he's already beyond that stage and must be removed. I hoe you read this in time and separate him from the others. Feel free to pm me for advice on this as ive dealt with it in drakes before
If you are in the northern hemisphere and in autumn sometimes they still do this in late summer/autumn, I wonder if global temperature changes are contributing, but regardless of season, the behaviour you describe and the condition of the victimised drake tells me you need to separate him right now.
Even if its the middle if the night when you read this, please get him away from those drakes, they wont stop till they kill him. And as above feel free to pm me

A friend who took 4 drakes from me a year ago
She was going to run an all drake flock
These were brothers and all hatched together
Same thing happened. One was bullied so bad.
She separated into pairs for over a month and tried again and same thing they attacked him again
Back to separation another 2 months
She decided to add females
She now has 13 ducks total and they are finally back as a big flock and the attacking has stopped
If you have room to add females this can really stop the bullying as it’s just strong hormones of needing to mate.
If you don’t have room to add more then finding a home for a pair would be best
In the mean time you need to keep that duck separated both in day and at night ! As others have said they can kill him
There are ways to keep an all drake flock but it needs to be done proper to keep all safe
@ruthhope maybe able to help

I agree with @Miss Lydia. I have an all male flockof rescued and rehomed drakes, currently 4 but I have space for 6 wen needed. When there is fighting, particularly in the spring, its important that any bullied birds have safe space. My pekin drake has always slept in a medium dog crate in the coop. It's his personal space and he loves it. My muscovy that is a bit of a loner, periodically gets bullied when he is moulting or otherwise under the weather. He has a compartment fenced off in the duckhouse using a folding temporary dog pen. One of his bullies noted he could climb on the pekin's dog crate and get over the dog pen, to get at the victim muscovy. So the compartment now has a plywood board roof. That drake is happy in his compartment, goes in there first to make sure it isn't taken by the bully, and will go in during the day when he wants to be left alone (when my puppy is out in the yard, for example). As the boys free range in a back yard with enough shrubbery and trees for any drake to hide if he is being bullied, I rarely need to separate the boys during the day. If I did, I would use another temporary dog pen, one I use for 28 or more days when introducing new boys.

So, I would pen yours into two pens, and also divide the coop into compartments. You might be able to unpen them during the day in a few weeks, and then just keep an eye on the boys next spring to know if you need to reinstate separate penning again, then.

My drakes are rescues with 1 rehome. The rehomed drake had been bullied and ostracised by its clutch mates when he was a juvenile. But drakes are interesting birds. He's friendly and assertive (not a victim personality!) And he has bonded well with one of my other drakes who is a year older. They spend much of the day close by each other. The drake he bonded with is also tightly bonded to a special needs drake, who has literally been his side kick for 2 years. The special needs drake has been unable to walk since May and is now in a ducky wheelchair. I face the wheelchair right up to the screen in the rear porch and his bonded muscovy drake sits outside there to keep him company and comes running when special needs drake calls.

That all sounds very nice and caring, but the drake that has the side kick and has bonded with the rehomed drake, can be badly (understatement) behaved with me. 2 years ago, he was such a psychopath attacking me that I was fearful I would not be able to manage him. He still comes running up behind me and tries to bite me. I had a biting episode with him 2 days ago. He gets short shrift and is either picked up and held (which he hates) with his back to my side and his feet flapping, or he is taken to the wading pool and dropped in (which he also hates, the stinker).

My advice for anyone with an all male flock is to give each his own personal space in the coop. I have dog crates for that, but this year found that I could fold dog pens into cubicles, and so I currently have two dog pens folded into cubicles as the arrangement is more flexible than squeezing in multiple dog crates. If the drakes are out of the coop during the day, they generally work things out as I have plenty of places the boys can hide from any other drake they currently dislike

What genders are the ducks? And what season is it where you are? feathers ripped out of the back of the neck is usually a rape attempt and you def need to kero the victimised duck sep from the others. I have never seen makes do this to another make except during breeding season, which here in NZ is ramping up now. When they do this the victimised bird is very much in danger of being killed.
You need to remove him from ALL of them immediately and put him with some nice broody friendly females and not let him near those boys or they will kill him.

i am not kidding, ive seen drakes do thus to other drakes, its horrible. If his neck has been ripped put, its bad enough to remove him as if theres enough males they can kill him overnight within 12 hrs or less. If hes bleeding, he's already beyond that stage and must be removed. I hoe you read this in time and separate him from the others. Feel free to pm me for advice on this as ive dealt with it in drakes before
He's got a nice roomy dog crate now- but they're all drakes and i have no hens to put him with. I feel really bad for him because he's lonely but the two bullies go after me if i even carry him past them. At the moment we don't have the land to support hens because we got chickens instead, so im kind of at a loss for my poor duck. Do you think the two bullies will take up abusing the neutral duck, too? He's smaller than they are..

He's got a nice roomy dog crate now- but they're all drakes and i have no hens to put him with. I feel really bad for him because he's lonely but the two bullies go after me if i even carry him past them. At the moment we don't have the land to support hens because we got chickens instead, so im kind of at a loss for my poor duck. Do you think the two bullies will take up abusing the neutral duck, too? He's smaller than they are..

Please move the neutral boy to be with the bullied boy

Back
Top Bottom