Outdoor bird cage

There's a lot of wasted vertical space in there for quail. They're ground birds. Painted quail are not cold hardy, so if they're going to be outside in the winter, you may want to think about heat. They will want places to hide and at least 1 square foot per bird.

The cage will be big enough but was going to build something similar and it will have a flight bird …..please read fully. Was going to build cage here that is 4 feet by 6 feet.

Attachments

• 9D5E3EA1-8E89-4177-814E-8A1753409BA6.jpeg
    9D5E3EA1-8E89-4177-814E-8A1753409BA6.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
That would probably work fine. I don't know what the climate is where you are, but if you have budgies and painted quail, the main thing you would need to worry about is heat during the winter.

was thinking of building a outdoor cage for painted quail and some kind of flight bird like budgie. Was thinking to build something similar to this. Any advice before I build so I know what I should incorporate in my cage.

https://www.amazon.com/GUTINNEEN-Ou...7258&sprefix=Outdoor+bird+vage,aps,184&sr=8-6
I have kept budgies, finches, and painted quail outside over winter in a pergola style aviary. I added a heated shed to side of it for the budgies etc to have an area around 50* for colder nights. My painted quail acclimated to survive in the main aviary with the coturnix.
A simple word of caution in that budgies will kill other birds. Mine have killed finches, painted quail, diamond doves and even baby budgies. If you are considering a design as pictured, you may think about separating the lower level for keeping quail and give budgies the upper 2/3 to prevent problems.

I have kept budgies, finches, and painted quail outside over winter in a pergola style aviary. I added a heated shed to side of it for the budgies etc to have an area around 50* for colder nights. My painted quail acclimated to survive in the main aviary with the coturnix.
A simple word of caution in that budgies will kill other birds. Mine have killed finches, painted quail, diamond doves and even baby budgies. If you are considering a design as pictured, you may think about separating the lower level for keeping quail and give budgies the upper 2/3 to prevent problems.
Good to know thought they get along with other birds

There's a lot of wasted vertical space in there for quail. They're ground birds. Painted quail are not cold hardy, so if they're going to be outside in the winter, you may want to think about heat. They will want places to hide and at least 1 square foot per bird.

Button quail are winter hardy. I keep mine outside in covered a aviaries with no heat. Our coldest temp went down to -9 F here in Michigan last winter and they do fine.

Back
Top Bottom