Outdoor Brooder - South Louisiana

May 26, 2018
Lafayette, La
So was curious if anyone in the south did an outdoor brooder. The lows are getting to be around 55 and most the days are 77-80ish.

I saw some cool simple designs that I liked.

1635517773519.png

The chicks are currently in my garage and are doing fine, this post is mostly out of curiosity then need.

I'm not in the south but have an outdoor brooder built into the coop. I brooded chicks in it in early May in NY when the night time temps still drop into the 20s. Everyone did great.
What I dislike (a lot) about the posted picture is it is solid, not made with 1/2" hardware cloth. The main reason for brooding outdoors is to have lots of fresh air, normal ambient temperatures in the no-heat zone and a natural circadian rhythm of light by using a brooder plate or momma heating pad.
chicks-1.jpg
chicks-2.jpg
1 week olds.jpg
Chicks in brooder run.jpg

Also not in the south, but I have a set of chicks brooding outside. They are almost 4 weeks now & have been outside since day 1. They've seen temps from high 30's to high 70's. They have a brooder plate & their 'brooder' (my integration coop) is inside it's own run that is inside the big run.

I never had any desire to have chicks in the house & after doing it this way - I never will!

IMG_20211028_094441911.jpg

Back
Top Bottom