Outdoor Heat?? - Southern & Southwestern Chicken Keepers?

SB Austex

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Austin
I've read a lot about when chicks can go outside based on acclimatizing to the cool temperatures, but not so much about heat. I understand that young chicks can't regulate their temps if it is too cold, but what about warm? It's in the 90's during the day here and only in the 70's at night. Right now, the 4-1/2 week old chicks are in the shade on the porch and seem to be okay. I check them frequently and will bring them in in late afternoon. (Of course, shade and water are always available.)

My questions: Will they be any better able to regulate heat as well as cold when they are fully feathered? Or is cold the main concern?

The feathers act as insulation and airconditioning. You DO need to be careful about the heat---but the 90s should still be ok so long as they have access to water and shadeshadeshadeSHADE!

And water.

lol.png

The same goes for 117 degree heat
wink.png

Imo the cold is the issue at least for me
I keep a heat lamp for younger chicks at night but they are fine during the day
As long as they have shade and plenty of water I dont see any issues and its hot here too
I have 4 and 5 week olds in outside pens now

I was given a few tips by the lady who adopted my cockerel. She said chickens are like dogs, they keep cool through their FEET. So wet the ground occasionally on those hot days. She also said to fill a 2 liter soda bottle with water, freeze it, and put it with the chickens. Her's seem to go and lean on it with their wings up
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

(she has cochins and we live in Sacramento, get's pretty hot here as well)

It got up to 90 yesterday in the area I have my chicks in (4 weeks old). They appeared fine - they WERE lifting up the wings, but not panting. I put a double bagged bag of frozen peas in the brooder and they all sat next to it for about an hour. I also misted them once just in case and changed all the water so it would be cool.

Next time I'm doing the frozen water bottle or the 'ice pack in a garbage can chicken a/c' idea.

I am SO glad it's cooler today.

Yeah, at 90 they should be okay. Last summer was hot, in the 100's, but not as hot as in years past. Mine will stay in the shade most of the day, but will still move around the yard by running as fast as they can from shade to shade. The heat also gives the hens a break from my Roo, a big Light Brahma named Turd ball.

Anyway, to help on very hot days I will put a fan in the roof of the coop to keep the air moving and will place a few milk jugs of frozzen water out for them to lay next to. Just give them some good shaded areas and make sure they have plenty of water they should do fine.

Thanks. I got him when he was a day old. He got that name because when he was young he was a bit of a, well, turd. So it kind of fit him. Now he is a great Roo. Very clam does not crow a lot or very loud. Is good to the girls, all though he can get a bit pushy with them at times and is great around kids. He is just over a year old now so he is still young. I need to get more pics of him, but here is one where he was garding the nest box for two of my girls, because my little banty Cochin was going to every nest box and kicking the other girls out. I think she was having a bad day.

33770_2010-05-15_092528.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom