Outside Brooder

MarkRainbolt

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
Saint James Missouri
I built a new coop it is off the ground for extra space underneath for the run. I am going to add a 4 ft x3 ft x 3 ft brooder to it I was wondering if the brooder needs to have ventilation on the top the same as the main coop?
Mark

I built a new coop it is off the ground for extra space underneath for the run. I am going to add a 4 ft x3 ft x 3 ft brooder to it I was wondering if the brooder needs to have ventilation on the top the same as the main coop?
Mark
Yes. And windows and access to the outside too. Is there any way you can integrate it with the coop so that it can be blocked off if needed but otherwise the rest of the flock can see and visit the broody hen and she can continue to come and go within the flock during the incubation?

Yes. And windows and access to the outside too. Is there any way you can integrate it with the coop so that it can be blocked off if needed but otherwise the rest of the flock can see and visit the broody hen and she can continue to come and go within the flock during the incubation?
Yes it will have a door to the main coop with hardware cloth. The first chick’s to be in the brooder will come from Cackle Hatchery June 15. Then as time goes on it may have a broody hen and eggs.
Mark

Ventilation doesn't strictly have to be at the top, but you still want good ventilation along with draft protected areas for the chicks to huddle in as needed.

brood2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom