Outside city limits.... Do chicken laws/ordinances apply to me?

Apr 13, 2020
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I was reading up on some of my city's chicken ordinances.... and I realized that I am outside of city limits. Although my address says that I live in the city, technically I don't? Would these rules apply to me?

Asking because chicken math is getting to me šŸ¤£ I only have three right now, because the city ordinances restrict to only three hens.

So am I able to legally get more chickens?

Unsure whats meant by the above post exactly.
I don't live inside any city limits and none of their ordinances or laws apply.
I do have to abide by county, state and federal laws about poultry, livestock, etc. though.

I live outside the legal limits of town so my applicable ordinances would be county level. From there, my exact restrictions for animals are based on my county assigned parcel zoning code, so what I can/can't have may differ from a lot across the street, or a lot a few houses down.

I don't know how parishes work but I assume it's similar to a county?

I live outside the legal limits of town so my applicable ordinances would be county level. From there, my exact restrictions for animals are based on my county assigned parcel zoning code, so what I can/can't have may differ from a lot across the street, or a lot a few houses down.

I don't know how parishes work but I assume it's similar to a county?
It's the same thing by a different name. Weird, but when Louisiana was under French/Spanish authority a long time ago, it was a predominantly Catholic area, so Louisiana just kept the word parishes and never changed it when the territory was transferred to the US.

Do you have a H.O.A? If so then you can check what their rules about chickens are, that way you have that to fall back on, if the city or parish thinks that you have too many or something then you can blame the H.O.A. and they might not try to take your chickens. I live just across the street from city limits and the city ordinances about chickens don't apply to me, just H.O.A. stuff.

That being said, things are different now than they were a year ago. If you feel your ordinances are too restrictive, shedule a time to talk to your local council and lobby for change.

Back
Top Bottom