Outside on a wet day?

goldeaglenest

Chirping
Mar 13, 2017
Mychickens are almost five weeks old. They are pretty much all feathered out except I've noticed some of them still have some scraggly fluff on their heads. But otherwise everyone is feathered and can perch on their little perches I put out for them. Since Friday, they have spent their days outside in a safe spot in partial shade and their nights under a heat lamp in the garage (it's still getting into the low 40's here at night). There are 13 of them so they can also keep each other pretty warm. Anyway, on a day like today where it is overcast, and it rained all night, can I still put them outside? It's 52 degrees F out and all cloudy. The grass is wet. My inclination is to leave them in the garage today (turned the lamp off though, because during the day I don't keep them under heat anymore and they are happy and not huddling or anything)but their brooder is getting so small for all 13 of them and I feel bad keeping them cooped up all day. What do you all think?

Chickens enjoy nothing more than pecking and scratching in just rained upon soil. Don't deny this to your chicks. They will be just fine at this age in any conditions short of a windy rain storm.

Your chicks are at the right age now for acclimatizing to cooler temps. They no longer need a heat lamp. Period. Let them spend gradually increasing lengths of time outdoors and they will be ready to move into their coop in one week.

Chickens enjoy nothing more than pecking and scratching in just rained upon soil. Don't deny this to your chicks. They will be just fine at this age in any conditions short of a windy rain storm.

Your chicks are at the right age now for acclimatizing to cooler temps. They no longer need a heat lamp. Period. Let them spend gradually increasing lengths of time outdoors and they will be ready to move into their coop in one week.
Yes, I agree. Let them run around. Just ensure they can return to a warm, dry spot if they like. They'll find lots of worms! :)

Whenever I know that it is going to rain, I lock my chicks inside their little house until I know the weather is clearing up. On Saturday we had a surprise storm and I had to rescue half of my flock (all of the smaller ones) because they were drenched and almost drowned. Luckily, I did not lose any. I brought them in, dried them off, and let them sit under the heat lamp for the night.

Back
Top Bottom