outside pen for 6 wk old quail

jenmiller

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 4, 2011
Kentucky
i have a gianormous plastic storage container that i used for baby chicks...can i use it for quail to put inside a shed to keep them warm but still get used to outside temps??

If you disinfect really well...I would say yes. I use the same brooders for both my quail and my chicks with no issues. There will be others that disagree with me though and say absolutely not, you should never mix equipment between the two...

I guess we should ask if those where quail chicks or chicken chicks? If they were quail chicks you don't need to worry about disinfection, just the regular cleaning/ bedding change will be fine.

Last edited:
it has a wire bottom and im pretty sure i can wipe it out with bleach water and it should be fine. Should i keep heat lamps on them all the time?? and i have grown quail that arnt laying at all....feeding problem or light deficiency problem???

They are about 4 or 5 weeks old i believe. The outside temp has gotten down to like 30 some odd degrees at night and as high as 70 during the day now is the avg. I have about 10 little quails.

I wasnt planning on working them all winter. I just wanted to know if i was simply doing something wrong bc i didnt know if they slowed to a complete stop in the winter time or what was going on.

At that age, they should be completely feathered...The way I ween, is go to a lower watt bulb to no light during the day. When you do this check them through out the day...if they stay huddled together they are too cold and a bulb should be given back to them. At night time with only 10 quail and 30 degree temps...I would still leave the light on them. You can start weening too around the 7-8 week mark.

I've got some at that age right now and am going to introduce to the grow out pen tomorrow, but still hang a light in there for night time. Its been getting cooler here at night with frost on the ground of a morning.

On your eggs deal with the grown quail... As long as you're feeding a game bird feed and plenty of clean water...you are doing the right things. They're just in an off season right now with lower temps and shorter days. When spring hits...you'll have more than you'll know what to do with.

Hope this helps!

Would one light with like a 100 watt bulb be okay for a long container?? Or should i get more then one light?? Also im thinking about making a cage enclosed on 3 sides and then extend it out so they have room to run around (this is for when all of the little ones are grown fully and i intriduce them to the older ones and i actually get time to build this cage. Should i put a light in it or if they are fully grown does it really matter?

How do you introduce new quails to ones that have been in the pen together for a while???

Quote:
Hope this helps!
smile.png

okay so here is the thing. They are in the house, extended part of the house and it is kinda cold in there sometimes. They stay huddled under the light even in that room inside with the light on them. Im not really sure why. Which is why i was weary about putting them outside.

Back
Top Bottom