Over 28 days... Unmatched eggs.

Indyrun

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 8, 2014
Brisbane Australia
Hi guys,

My indian runner girl has been broody and tirelessly sitting on her nest. It's now a couple of days over 28. 2 eggs thus far have been broken, one look deflated and the smell horrendous!
I've checked (not candled) and there doesn't appear to be any sign of a duckling.
I have a drake so I presume they are/were fertilised.
Also I have seen mice and or rats go into her coop, I've chased them away when I'm home.
Would all the eggs be rotten and dead?
How long should I give them time to hatch?
What do I do? I removed the rotten broken eggs, but I didn't want to disturb her nest too much, and now her nest absolutely stinks!

I would vote for finding a way to candle them, ditch any that don't look viable, and-or, re-do the nest and if she abandons it, get the eggs into a clean incubator.

I'll let you know the circles. Also one of the eggs has a crack in it. Should I toss it? The stink is bringing so many flies to her nest. I'll give it a good clean today. I hope she doesn't abandon the nest. She lets me pat her while she is sitting on it, so hopefully she'll be ok with my tampering...

I attempted candling them. I couldn't really see anything other tha dark shadows, not resembling a duckling.
I cleaned and changed her nest, she seems fine with the changes.
The eggs smell, they smell like a bunch of rotten eggs ready to explode. Is it normal? I'm such a novice, I wish I had someone come and look at them
1f601.png

I have had this happen to my Rouen duck 2 times.They all were rotten.Check if she's nesting in a dark place no light.It was really surprising when my Rouen made a nest in the open where light is available and we decided to build a little house over her nest.It was dark inside and when we did that she hatched out eggs.I totally understand the horrendous smell.Horrible.She's probably not gonna hatch out this time.Sometimes you gotta do what you need to do. Check each egg.

Back
Top Bottom