Over a month of watery poop, flock getting thinner, now not eating…

mimaresca

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 8, 2016
Texas
For over a month our flock has been getting thinner, weight-wise. (7 chickens and 1 rooster) They have had diarrhea/ watery poop (very few solids). Most of them were molting before this, but nothing has really changed. Things we’ve checked for and done already:

• all have been eating, except one has just recently stopped wanting to eat over the last two days. (They can rummage in our organic garden area for grubs and greens, and we also feed them Dumor Organic Layer Crumble.)
  • Checked for worms (diatomaceous earth with food, oregano oil with oatmeal, apple cider vinegar in water >>> all of these things have delivered no change)
  • Changed out their water source and refreshed to ensure clean drinking water. (No change)
  • Let them out in our back field for them to forage on more grass for a week and a half. (No change. Daily they are free range in our quarter acre garden where they dig up mulch and weeds under trees)
  • Offered them raw sweet potato as well as a broken open, cured butternut squash - they didn’t really touch either.
  • Fed them pre and probiotics (No change)
  • They have really slowed egg production. (Which is normal for the winter time.)
  • We clean their coop daily and have seen no sign of worms.

I also have to mention that this seems to happen to a few of our chickens every year at this time. I live in the hill country of Texas (near Austin) and our temperatures are pretty mild right now.
Lastly, my wife feels like the next step is to give them antibiotics, which she really doesn’t want to do.
What do you think could be causing this? Suggestions of what else to try?

Thank you in advance!!!:):):)

Can you take in some combined droppings in a ziploc bag to a local vet for a fecal float, but call ahead to make sure they will do that? Have you wormed them recently? I would stop everything extra and just feed them their normal chicken feed. If they are not eating it, consider adding a bit of water to a small amount, or switch to another major brand.

Hey @Eggcessive !
Thanks so much for the suggestions!
We've had fecal tests in the past for these symptoms and have shown not worms or other issues. This time we haven't done it because it's the same symptoms as last time. =(
As for the food, we've had them on this food for over a year. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If the fecal comes back with little to nothing, then I highly suggest getting one or two of your birds tested by your State of Agriculture veterinarian. There are many causes and diseases that can cause the symptoms you’re experiencing. I’d get testing done for the following diseases:
  • Fowl Cholera
  • Avian Leukosis Virus (ALV)
  • Campylobacter infection
  • Ecoli infection
As for the fecal test, if it comes back with Coccidiosis, then I suggest treating with Corid (Amprolium) without any vitamins as it will clash and nullify the effects of both. As for worms, there are a ton of different de-wormers to choose from. Good luck! I hope your chickens get well soon!

What color is the diareah? Have they ever been treated for cocci in the past? What probiotic have you given?

A lactobacillus supplement would probably help and maybe keep you from having to do an antibiotic. Bur watery diareah already means that there is a proloferation of bad bacteria in their digeative tract. But a probiotic would help against that too.

Hey all! Thanks for this help!
The chickens are about a year and half. I will work on all these things. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom