Over copulation .

Broken Fox

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2020
Washington
I have a male and female and the male has gotten overly aggressive with the female so much so that he broke her leg do to over copulating. I have separated them and am now attempting to heal her.

Do I cull the male?

How do I treat a broken leg?

Oh dear. What bone is broken?
anatomy-of-duck-leg-backyard-chickens.jpg

Last edited:
You dont have to cull the male - you could try to rehome him and get your female another girl pal or two, or if you have the space for it, you could get a handful more females so that each one gets a rest from the mating and he doesnt overdo it with anybody, or you could rehome the female and try to introduce a few more boys to your current one.

What wont work is keeping only two different gendered ducks, because he will keep hurting her over and over and maybe kill her. And it wont work to only get rid of one of them, since ducks are very social and need duck friends, you need at least two (and a few more never hurt in case something else happens, you always have a back-up)

I don't keep roos because of the over sexual nature & aggression esp. when there's not enough hens for him. And I would feel the same about ducks. If you can't find another home, don't have another pen for him then I would cull him if you don't want him.

I believe it to be somewhere in the pelvic region. She is laying with both legs spread behind her and unable to move her hind quarters.

Unfortunately no vet here has open availability due to hour and staff reduction ....COVID -19. I also now think there is an egg she is attempting to lay. Kind of at a loss on what I should do here.

If you can't actually feel a break, and both of her legs are splayed out behind her, and she's pulsing her vent, I would agree there's a good chance she has an egg that has pressed/ or is pressing on the Obturator nerve. If you can't take her to a vet, my first line of action would be to move her inside, into an area that has plenty of traction as excessive splaying can be damaging as well.

I would also try to get some calcium in her. There are several calcium supplements you can use, such as, tums, calcium citrate, or what I have had the best luck with, Calcium Gluconate. The first two can be boughten at most health stores, and you'll be able to find the gluconate at most feeds stores like TSC. If you have any NSAIDs, specifically, carprofen, ketoprofen, or meloxicam, you might be able to use that too.

Is she drinking? Would you mind posting a few pictures of her?

Back
Top Bottom