Over eating

I'm a recent convert to feeding wet layer crumble, and fermenting when I can. Started doing this after watching the ladies run to the waterer right after filling their crops with the morning feed. After a week I was amazed how much less they eat and drink this way. I try to get the consistency about the same as I like my oatmeal. Have kept track and they are eating 1/3 less than before when they had only dry feed, and still laying the same and not showing any other changes. I had thought they would self regulate their feeding, but when they have dry feed available all day they go through much more (even with an almost zero-waste feeder) and just make a whole lot more poo, but are no healthier or more productive for all the extra feed. Sort of like a certain human chicken keeper I know....

I'm a recent convert to feeding wet layer crumble, and fermenting when I can. Started doing this after watching the ladies run to the waterer right after filling their crops with the morning feed. After a week I was amazed how much less they eat and drink this way. I try to get the consistency about the same as I like my oatmeal. Have kept track and they are eating 1/3 less than before when they had only dry feed, and still laying the same and not showing any other changes. I had thought they would self regulate their feeding, but when they have dry feed available all day they go through much more (even with an almost zero-waste feeder) and just make a whole lot more poo, but are no healthier or more productive for all the extra feed. Sort of like a certain human chicken keeper I know....
Good to know! I was very worried that they were eating *so* much less when fed fermented feed. They don’t seem any less healthy and are developing normally... so I’ve just been keeping a wary eye out. I didn’t want to be starving them!

A few of my pullets are gorging by the end of the day and not on feed, but dirt, or whatever else they can find inside their run until their crops are enormous. Are they missing something from their diets? I feed them Scratch and Peck. It's available at all times and I will add water to an extra bowl of it in the mornings, so they eat the finely grounded up part of the feed too. Grit and oyster shells are always available also. They get a small amount of mealworms, or canned sardines with no salt and no added oil for a little extra protein. They go berserk for those. Curious if I am doing something wrong, if they are missing something from their diet, or is this normal chicken behavior? I believe the pullets who are gorging are the ones who just started laying eggs.

I must say my wife and I have argued about this for years. We buy 11% egg layer pellets from our local MFA store 6 to 8 50lb bags at a time. When I feed the chickens i usually give them two big scoops in the morning. If its dry, I scatter it about the pen 40x60 area. They have an automatic watering system. Then each time i check for eggs during the day they get a scoop or bread or stale crackers or leftover pasta ( they love spaghetti) my wife on the other hand feeds them once per day and tries to make the feed last longer. Who is right who is wrong? I just know our of some 45 chickens we average 30 eggs a day. Now that the weather is cooler they have cut back to 15. All our eggs are solid shell extra large. Our chickens are happy and friendly. many come out and must be petted before you are allowed to enter the hen house.
I never messed with fancy supplements and my girls are all 6 to 9 years old. No rooster! He was a pain in my ###. Well I hope this helps. Best of luck to you and your feathered girls.
David

I do not have a bag on me right now, but it is a brand of grower feed. I can identify it by looking at it. Looks like seeds and other things mixed up together. A lot of it is powdery though. Thats why I add some in a separate bowl mixed with water so they get all of the feed.

What works for one flock may not work for yours. I feel it is best to manage your flock's care and feeding based upon your observations of their behavior, appearance, and eggs. Every chicken is different as is each flock's environment. Here is my example:
I had my hens on layer feed (usually Purina Layena) with extra calcium offered in the coop. I thought that would be sufficient because that's what I read I should be doing. But the calcium lasted forever with, apparently, zero interest in it. Yet many of the eggshells were fragile. So my chickens weren't self-regulating with their calcium supplement. I started feeding them small portions of fermented scratch with an Omega Fields brand supplement called Ultra Egg mixed into it. Their butts started looking even fluffier and their eggshells became noticeably stronger. When I stopped adding the Ultra Egg, the eggshells became fragile again. Sure my rooster might not live a long life because he gets more calcium. But he's a mean, aggressive bird and my hubby will probably take him out before the calcium does!:fl

Back
Top Bottom