over grown bottom beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by layalittleeggfo, Nov 2, 2012.

1. layalittleeggfo

layalittleeggfo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2012
    we got 4 nova brown hens last week

and one of them has a over grown bottom beak, it had been eating fine untill last night when i took there dinner scraps out, i noticed it seemed to struggle getting the food, like i said it has been fine until last night

how do we trim it????

i read on the internet that it could be a sign of something more serious???

thanks Anna
  2. Angelpoo

Angelpoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    A friend had this with her chicken but it learned how to eat and they left it like that. I thought it was mean at first but she seemed happy enough...
  3. layalittleeggfo

layalittleeggfo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2012
    thanks everyone

it does not seem to have caused any problems up to now x
  4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    She might need a bowl that she can scoop food out of, and moistened food because it's easier to pick up. I don't have any experience with it, but I've read many times of people trimming beaks (and toenails) with clippers or a file. As I understand it, there is a blood supply that extends into the beak and nail, similar to a dog's nails, so the trick is to trim a small amount at a time.

Here's an article on helping chickens eat who have cross beak or an overgrown beak. Not the same thing, but the approaches should be similar:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by