over ripe bananas

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hen-at-home, Jul 9, 2010.

1. hen-at-home

hen-at-home Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    North Central MA
    I'm having a hard time knowing what table scraps are ok to feed my girls. They are 13 weeks old. I have some over ripe bananas and wondered if I can feed those to them? I'd have to peel them?? Are apple cores ok just thrown in the run? I know cherry pits are "right out" - no, no's! [​IMG]

I'm trying to read through the feeding and watering your flock section, but I struggle with the time it takes (and how distracted I get with all the irrelevant details to some very good stories [​IMG].

Just yay or nay me and I'll get those darn bananas off my counter!

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    yay. Peel them, although they will usually pick at the peeling. Won't completely eat it, but....

3. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
  4. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Bananas and cantalope my girls' favorite treat. I freeze the bananas during hot weather and they go nuts for them.

5. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Bananas - Yes (peeled or not)
    Apple Core - Yes (even when they are brown, dry and shriveled)

Anything else in your kitchen - Almost definately Yes, especially meaty things including meat and bones from a .... .....chicken!!!.

Feeding them egg & bits of chicken will not turn them cannibal. They have no idea what the inside of an egg looks like (eta - wrote not instead of nor) nor the inside of a chicken, so they do not connect the fried egg, sunny side up, with what is hidden in their own eggs. Likewise feeding chicken & chicken bones will not make them suddenly decide to eviscerate a coop mate to get at the parsons nose.

If they don't like it they won't eat it - they are pretty smart when it comes to not poisoning themselves, not to say they won't do it but generally they're OK at it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  6. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I feed mine any left overs or when I clean out the fridge. I have found out they don't like celery and I don't feed them potatoes, onions or garlicy foods.

7. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Mine love the overripe bananas. I peel the banana, but I throw the peel in too, and they will peck at it and get some bits from the inside.

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    if i eat it so does my chickens, from my daughters left over cereal in the morning, to her left over dinner at night, her bread crusts from her lunch too

I also clean the fridge out and feed it to the chickens as long as there is no mold and the food is still good enough for a human to eat.

I give then a teaspoon of crushed fresh garlic too to help prevent worms... + I cook with a lot of garlic and they get it in plate scraping along with cooked onions too

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I give them just about anything. What they don't eat.....well I haven't found out what that IS yet! LOL
    When I clean out the fridge I give them "borderline" stuff so long as it's not fuzzy or moldy and any tablescraps that I just simply am not in the mood to eat again. During the winter I clean out the kitchen to make soup, but I'm just not feelin the urge to eat soup when it's 100*F outside, ya know? So long as it feeds SOMEONE in this household, it's not wasted IMO.

10. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    I like the frozen banana idea. The apple core I would think would be a no-no. The seeds contain a small amount of arsenic. May be bad for chickens. I could be wrong

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by