over ripe bananas

truthfully...

they are called yard buzzards for a reason. only thing that is bad for them is rotting meat. it can cause botulism....they eat other animals crap...what cant they eat.

Quote:
Don't let them have the apple seeds. A friend of mine used to raise exotic birds and said the apple seeds are higghly toxic to birds, so I'd be on the safe side and cut the apple off the core.

Apple seeds do contain cyanide but only in tiny amounts and on top of that Apple seeds are designed to pass through digestive systems unharmed as a means of distribution.

Apple cores (including their seeds) are perfectly fine for people and chickens to eat.

Oh my goodness, THANK YOU! This has been so helpful! I will get those bananas off my counter tomorrow, bright and early!! Tonight I gave them plain organic yogurt, part of a leftover tomato (those always get left in the fridge and no one in my house wants to eat half a tomato that's been saved for later in a sandwich bag - so glad to be able to put those to good use!) and some raisins.

I feel dumb asking this, but potato salad wouldn't be too good would it? I had some and tossed it already, but I was curious. It had mayo in it, organic potatoes, hard boiled eggs, pickle relish....... are potatoes not good, or is mayo not good for them? I read that green potatoes aren't good, but the ones in the salad weren't green.

I'm so excited to be able to clean out my fridge without throwing stuff out!!
smile.png

Thanks, any more things you've cleaned out of your fridge and given to your girls, please share. There are probably plenty of things I wouldn't think of - or maybe others wouldn't think of either.

Hmmmmm, I think I'll go throw those bananas in the freezer overnight.................
lol.png

oh, and thanks, Oven Ready, for the apple core "OK". I knew there was cyanide but I hoped they were ok, we eat a lot of apples.

I give mine potato salad...

mayo is just eggs and oil (basically)

i make a chunky potato salad and its funny to watch them chase each other with chunks of potato hanging out of their mouthes

The only things i dont give them is raw potato skins and onions.. i will feed cooked potato skins

Twenty years ago my husband used to run a restaurant. We kept about 50 chickens. He'd bring home 5 gallon buckets full of everything under the sun, leftover from the restaurant and pour it into a huge dish for them. One thing they used to serve was "brains and eggs." I bet our chickens even ate a bit of that over time.
sickbyc.gif
They'd eat ANYTHING.

One thing they used to serve was "brains and eggs."

I had to go look this up to check it really was Brains & Eggs and I found this page Brains&Egg.

The guy says ....
We love scrambled eggs with fresh brains, and when I travel, I carry my brains in a can.

Aren't men supposed to keep them in their pants ?
lol.png

The guy says ....
We love scrambled eggs with fresh brains, and when I travel, I carry my brains in a can.

Aren't men supposed to keep them in their pants ?
lol.png

lau.gif

Too funny!!!!​

Back
Top Bottom