over ripe bananas

hen-at-home

Songster
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
North Central MA
I'm having a hard time knowing what table scraps are ok to feed my girls. They are 13 weeks old. I have some over ripe bananas and wondered if I can feed those to them? I'd have to peel them?? Are apple cores ok just thrown in the run? I know cherry pits are "right out" - no, no's!
smile.png

I'm trying to read through the feeding and watering your flock section, but I struggle with the time it takes (and how distracted I get with all the irrelevant details to some very good stories
smile.png

Just yay or nay me and I'll get those darn bananas off my counter!

One thing they used to serve was "brains and eggs."

I had to go look this up to check it really was Brains & Eggs and I found this page Brains&Egg.

The guy says ....
We love scrambled eggs with fresh brains, and when I travel, I carry my brains in a can.

Aren't men supposed to keep them in their pants ?
lol.png

Bananas - Yes (peeled or not)
Apple Core - Yes (even when they are brown, dry and shriveled)

Anything else in your kitchen - Almost definately Yes, especially meaty things including meat and bones from a .... .....chicken!!!.

Feeding them egg & bits of chicken will not turn them cannibal. They have no idea what the inside of an egg looks like (eta - wrote not instead of nor) nor the inside of a chicken, so they do not connect the fried egg, sunny side up, with what is hidden in their own eggs. Likewise feeding chicken & chicken bones will not make them suddenly decide to eviscerate a coop mate to get at the parsons nose.

If they don't like it they won't eat it - they are pretty smart when it comes to not poisoning themselves, not to say they won't do it but generally they're OK at it.

Last edited:
I feed mine any left overs or when I clean out the fridge. I have found out they don't like celery and I don't feed them potatoes, onions or garlicy foods.

if i eat it so does my chickens, from my daughters left over cereal in the morning, to her left over dinner at night, her bread crusts from her lunch too

I also clean the fridge out and feed it to the chickens as long as there is no mold and the food is still good enough for a human to eat.

I give then a teaspoon of crushed fresh garlic too to help prevent worms... + I cook with a lot of garlic and they get it in plate scraping along with cooked onions too

I give them just about anything. What they don't eat.....well I haven't found out what that IS yet! LOL
When I clean out the fridge I give them "borderline" stuff so long as it's not fuzzy or moldy and any tablescraps that I just simply am not in the mood to eat again. During the winter I clean out the kitchen to make soup, but I'm just not feelin the urge to eat soup when it's 100*F outside, ya know? So long as it feeds SOMEONE in this household, it's not wasted IMO.

Back
Top Bottom