Over worried duck mama-muscovy not eating

Furballforum

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2020
Last I posted about a foot injury my duck was fin an hour later so I am paranoid an love my duck.

10 week muscovy seemed fine this am, ate some duck crumble,grass in the yard, worms as per usual. At 12pm eating grass fine. At 5pm I went to bring her in for the night and she didn't get excited or waddle after me, she slowly walked and seemed timid and afraid of the other ducks. She came inside (gonna be in the 40s tonight) and drank water but will not eat. Her favorite treat is meal worms and she did not want them, she came to the frig for romaine but would not eat it. Usually she goes crazy for both. Now she is napping, her usual til 7pm nap. She is pooping normal so far since 5pm

She has never ever not eaten, EVER. Am I worried too much from reading about toxins and infections, illnesses? I am Very worried.

Last edited:
If I am understanding correctly, she is probably just stressed from the fire. I once found a stray chicken (who had probably had a stressful day) and she wouldn't eat, because she was so 'preoccupied' and confused. Once she settled down and had a few days to take everything in she ate. As long as there are no other symptoms, I would not worry. She is probably in shock from the fire

I agree with AltonaAcres, if she was in close proximity to a grass fire that very well may have caused her some distress. If she's still not wanting to eat tomorrow, it would be best if you post a few pictures of the duck, and pictures of her poop, and we can go from there.

If I am understanding correctly, she is probably just stressed from the fire. I once found a stray chicken (who had probably had a stressful day) and she wouldn't eat, because she was so 'preoccupied' and confused. Once she settled down and had a few days to take everything in she ate. As long as there are no other symptoms, I would not worry. She is probably in shock from the fire
Sorry I had some bad typos from my auto correct and fixed them. There was no grass fire. She was eating grass as usual at noon. So she was acting pretty normal until then. All evening she has been resting and drinking water. She had a few bites of duck crumble tonight but not eating normally yet. She has walked from room to room and flapped her wings as she always does after a nap. She is usually more perky after her 5pm nap. Her first poop since the nap was a "dirt" poop which is the same poop every time she digs for worms in my garden. Since then there have been some mixed with white . The ratio of solid to liquid is pretty normal. I will try to upload a photo of the poop.

1606880453337-370093578.jpg

She did one normal thing tonight, I dropped a paper towel and she ran over to try and get it. Her greatest goal everyday is to get a paper towel. Every moment of our lives is spent hiding them up high. She is still lethargic and has not eaten again but the paper towel really got her moving. Uh huh I just want her normal again, I love her.

Sorry for "play by play" but she just ate some romaine with great excitement. Whatever is wrong, she is feeling a little better by her actions. Any Info is still much appreciated since I do not know if she will continue feeling better.

Since she is 10 weeks, and it is November, I assume it is not an egg issue?

Back
Top Bottom