Overbuilt tractor update

Dada Joe

Songster
Mar 3, 2019
Florence, Alabama
Well, I have a basically immovable tractor, critters ate one of the roosters, and a neighborhood puppy that got loose, killed the hen, after we got about 3 dozen eggs. That leaves us with 2 roosters, and my wife cannot decide if we want more fowl around the yard. I have not had the to consider what needs to be done to make the tractor movable, but since I have no more yards to cut, have finished most of the mechanical work on my and others lawn equipment, including building(restoring) a 1978 Ford LGT 125 for my grandson, I have time to consider the tractor arrangement for the coop.
Our gentlemen, Barney and Red are entertainment for my wife. Barney, the Americauna, is aloof and totally free range, sleeping in the trees in my yard. He tried several before deciding on a perch about 40 feet off the ground. Red, the Orpington, continues to spend his nights in the coop, ranging during the day. Red makes sure that Barney is on his roost, before going back to his coop, almost like a big brother. It is hard to believe that roosters have personalities. Both get their corn 'fix' from my hand in the morning, then go their merry ways for the day.
Interesting observance happened yesterday, and was repeated today. I got a squirrel call app on my phone for later hunting. Testing it in the backyard on a wireless speaker, brought the roosters to the speaker from wherever they were foraging. They respond with crows when I whistle, sometimes meander to me, but have never ran like they do to the squirrel bark. Only thing we can figure, is that the bark sounds like a hen to them, and they are going to get to her. But, Barney hates squirrels, and chases them when they come in the yard, so, any ideas?

Question is,,,,,,,, Do you still want chickens for eggs.
Your tractor needs to be made secure to act as a coop. If it is large enough, then you can keep a number of chickens inside, all day. If not,,,, then you need a secure run. If you free-range your chickens,,, it is inevitable there will be losses. Realities of life.
You don't need roosters unless you intend to raise chicks from your hens eggs. Contrary to many beliefs here, roosters are not in same class as LGD's Yes, they warn of predators but that is insufficient in many predator attacks. Better than nothing against flying raptors:old
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Question is,,,,,,,, Do you still want chickens for eggs.
Your tractor needs to be made secure to act as a coop. If it is large enough, then you can keep a number of chickens inside, all day. If not,,,, then you need a secure run. If you free-range your chickens,,, it is inevitable there will be losses. Realities of life.
You don't need roosters unless you intend to raise chicks from your hens eggs. Contrary to many beliefs here, roosters are not in same class as LGD's Yes, they warn of predators but that is insufficient in many predator attacks. Better than nothing against flying raptors:old
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
We inherited chicks from grandsons school, or would not have any at all. Now, the roosters are for entertainment purposes, only. We eat very few eggs, buying a dozen, maybe once a month... My coop/run tractor should accommodate 4 hens, and may one day. For now, the entertainment value of the gentlemen

Back
Top Bottom