OverEz large coop have enough space on roosting bars?

Yeah the spacing on those roosts is problematic, as you noted they're too close to each other and too close to walls. But I don't see a great place to move the 2nd one to, as the human door prevents you from putting one over towards the nests.

This is a bit haphazard of an idea, but what if you did just 1 roost, and then maybe a couple sawhorses down the center (or if not sawhorses, something similar... basically a free standing removable roost), so some of the birds could roost on top of those? This way you'd still have some roost options, but they could be removed for access/routine cleaning.

As far as ventilation, best place in this style of coop is to open up the soffit space between the roof support beams, like so: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coop-modification-recommendations.1517556/#post-25543595

This is a bit haphazard of an idea, but what if you did just 1 roost, and then maybe a couple sawhorses down the center (or if not sawhorses, something similar... basically a free standing removable roost), so some of the birds could roost on top of those? This way you'd still have some roost options, but they could be removed for access/routine cleaning.
This is actually a great idea. I have a very similar setup in my bantam run.
Mine is a handmade perch very similar to this.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...&utm_content=Coops%20%26%20Feathers&utm_term=
Maybe something like that could save floor space as well?

Yeah the spacing on those roosts is problematic, as you noted they're too close to each other and too close to walls. But I don't see a great place to move the 2nd one to, as the human door prevents you from putting one over towards the nests.

As far as ventilation, best place in this style of coop is to open up the soffit space between the roof support beams, like so: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coop-modification-recommendations.1517556/#post-25543595
I am fretting now, not sure what to do. If I make various directions of boards then there is going to be poo all over where they walk. I really didnt want to clean the coop out more than once a week. Especially since in winter here it can get negative 20- I had hoped to just let their poo pile up for a week or two and change ALL the bedding as needed. If I have bars going the opposite direction wont that be an issue and Ill need to do a cleaning daily? I didnt want to use sand. I sure didnt realize that this "HOLDS 15 chickens" coop really only holds 6 because it should only have one roosting bar.

I am fretting now, not sure what to do. If I make various directions of boards then there is going to be poo all over where they walk. I really didnt want to clean the coop out more than once a week. Especially since in winter here it can get negative 20- I had hoped to just let their poo pile up for a week or two and change ALL the bedding as needed. If I have bars going the opposite direction wont that be an issue and Ill need to do a cleaning daily? I didnt want to use sand. I sure didnt realize that this "HOLDS 15 chickens" coop really only holds 6 because it should only have one roosting bar.

Don't worry too much, you'll figure it out, it's not a make or break issue.

What if you took that back roost down & moved it to the other side, by the next box - same height as the other one but put a leg under it in front of the man door, or maybe with a hinge for easier clean out.

I have a free standing roost in my coop right now because it's a little over full due to HPAI lock down. It's a 2x3 with little legs. I pull it out when I clean (which I only do like 3 times a year).

hmmm
Don't worry too much, you'll figure it out, it's not a make or break issue.

What if you took that back roost down & moved it to the other side, by the next box - same height as the other one but put a leg under it in front of the man door, or maybe with a hinge for easier clean out.

I have a free standing roost in my coop right now because it's a little over full due to HPAI lock down. It's a 2x3 with little legs. I pull it out when I clean (which I only do like 3 times a year).
I’m thinking that’s what I’m gonna have to do and I wanted to get it set up prior to putting chickens in and it getting all dirty. My two questions would be if I have bars basically covering the whole floor am I going to have to clean every day or two so they are not stepping in poo. Also I live where it can get really cold in the winter even down to -20 and is it going to be bad to have them closer to the window.

I clean 3 times a year. I don't have poopy eggs & I have 3 roosts in a coop about like yours! I guess it's all how you can deal with it. I stir up the bedding every couple of days & add new when needed.

& I leave my windows open 24/7 all year round with HVAC filter stuffed in there in the winter to keep the cold wind & snow out.
IMG_20211102_132442589.jpg

I clean 3 times a year. I don't have poopy eggs & I have 3 roosts in a coop about like yours! I guess it's all how you can deal with it. I stir up the bedding every couple of days & add new when needed.

& I leave my windows open 24/7 all year round with HVAC filter stuffed in there in the winter to keep the cold wind & snow out.
View attachment 3053172
That’s good to hear! I’ve never had chickens in a cold climate before

I completely understand this, but don't think that just because they don't perch there there wont be poop all over the coop. Theres going to be poop their anyway, but probably more if there roosting their.
That is something that is very common and problematic with prefabs. It is very rare to find a prefab coop that actually holds the amount of birds that it advertises.

Back
Top Bottom