Overhead coop fan running at night

Sep 2, 2022
Central Alabama
Is it ok to leave an overhead fan running at night in the coop? It was around 94 degrees today, but cooler at dusk. However, when the flock went to roost, several had wings spread out and panting. I didnt think it was that hot, but decided to leave the fan on. There is a lot of pecking and squawking that goes on with my flock before they settle down, so maybe the hens were upset and hence the panting? I've heard drafts should be avoided, so wondering if fan vlowing on them all night is a bad idea. I might go back down and turn it off.

I didnt think it was that hot, but decided to leave the fan on.
Do you have a thermometer in the coop so you know what the temp is in there?
Chickens can have very hard time with the heat, especial when the temps first start to rise in spring/summer.

Pics of coop and overhead fan might help here.
An overhead fans feel good to humans with sweaty skin, but probably doesn't do much good for chickens...especially if it's just blowing the hot air around in the coop.

Chickens can have very hard time with the heat, especial when the temps first start to rise in spring/summer.

An overhead fans feel good to humans with sweaty skin, but probably doesn't do much good for chickens...especially if it's just blowing the hot air around in the coop.
I dont have a thermometer in the coop, and that is a great idea! Can't believe I didnt think of it sooner. I'll get one soon. I ended up turning the fan off because it was cooling down. We've had rain since then. I'll post a pic as soon as I can. Thank you!!

Not sure if you can tell from pics, but its a large fan directly over their roosts. Probably does blow warm air over them in hottest of Alabama temps, but perhaps better than nothing. I could also dip their feet in cool water when it gets dark, and put them back on roost. I have a bucket down there. They wont get in kiddie pool i have down there. One issue, the coop is 8 by 8, and my flock increased to 29. That might be too much for the size of the coop. Thank you for any input.

Attachments

• 20230613_193102.jpg
    20230613_193102.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230613_193035.jpg
    20230613_193035.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 50
Not sure if you can tell from pics, but its a large fan directly over their roosts. Probably does blow warm air over them in hottest of Alabama temps, but perhaps better than nothing. I could also dip their feet in cool water when it gets dark, and put them back on roost. I have a bucket down there. They wont get in kiddie pool i have down there. One issue, the coop is 8 by 8, and my flock increased to 29. That might be too much for the size of the coop. Thank you for any input.
I'd cut some triangles out on either side of that stud and cover it with hardware cloth on both side of the coop. A cross breeze will help cool it off.

Not sure if you can tell from pics but its a large fan directly over their roosts.
Nope, I can't see a fan at all.
Like a ceiling fan?

I also don't see much any ventilation along the eave soffits or in the gable ends.
A metal roof....I bet it's an oven.

You need some ventilation up high, then maybe if you run the fan in reverse(blowing up instead of down) it would help cool off the shed.

Like a ceiling fan?

I also don't see much any ventilation along the eave soffits or in the gable ends.

You need some ventilation up high, then maybe if you run the fan in reverse(blowing up instead of down) it would help cool off the shed.
Thank you for the tips! Its a large ceiling fan, and maybe my picture cut it out. Actually if I click on the picture, i can see the fan, but its running so it just looks like a light. We have an opening (about a 4 inch gap) along the top of coop between the walls and ceiling, covered by hardwire. I'm probably not describing that well, time for another pic😅. And 3 large windows in the coop (back and both sides). I could cover the windows with hardcloth and keep them open at night, but will need to be super sturdy. And i can direct fan upwards instead of down. I'm sorry, which stud to cut triangles around? We've had rain and cool weather since i posted, but know that will change.
Like a ceiling fan?

i can see the fan, but its running so it just looks like a light.
Ah, OK. now I 'see' it.

We have an opening (about a 4 inch gap) along the top of coop between the walls and ceiling, covered by hardwire. I'm probably not describing that well, time for another pic
Yeah, that would be soffit venting.
Upward airflow might blow hot air down the slope of roof and out the soffit openings.

I'm sorry, which stud to cut triangles around?
The one in the center of the gable end.
But what's your roof overhang like on the outside?

One issue, the coop is 8 by 8, and my flock increased to 29.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
29 hens theoretically need a minimum of 29 square feet of ventilation and I see one modest-sized window. Additionally, as a fellow resident of the US Steamy's Southeast, I find that I need either DEEP natural shade or 2-3 times the recommended ventilation just to keep a coop under 100F on a 90F day.

Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

I'd really recommend pulling the siding off of at least one wall and replacing it with wire to create an Open Air style coop.

Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care

Back
Top Bottom