Overheated chickadees HELP!!

mamatink7

Songster
Apr 6, 2016
Ohio
We are in OH and its extremely hot and humid the past few weeks.
We have 23 girls in the coop, plenty of water and feed (I fill every other day). They are all panting and wings fluffed out to help cool themselves off.
Gave them yogurt treats tonight as a cool treat.
One golden comet was in corner. Not trying to get any or do much else. Her comb and wattles are whiter than normally. I went in and picked her up. Rubbing her while checking. Softer crop and she threw up. Everything else looks fine and normal, I put her in nesting box. Another girl, black australorp, jumped up to see her and she threw up a little.
What do I do??? They are inside the coop as precautionary measure- until grounds are properly checked and a new run is built. They are happy in coop.
I cannot lose these girls. We've been on this site for over a yr and I've posted and responded plenty; but not in the past couple months due to a family tragedy.
Thanks for anything...

How big is this coop and is it shaded, well vented etc----need more info???
Not shaded
Plenty ventilation (2 vent windows, 3 open wall windows)
8ft tall x15ft
12 pole perches with rafters all around and all have window access
3 gallon waterer filled and changed daily and as needed with ice water
2 3 gallon feeders
7 nesting boxes and they typically use 3

Not shaded
Plenty ventilation (2 vent windows, 3 open wall windows)
8ft tall x15ft
12 pole perches with rafters all around and all have window access
3 gallon waterer filled and changed daily and as needed with ice water
2 3 gallon feeders
7 nesting boxes and they typically use 3
That unshaded coop was probably like a oven on a hot day like today?? Did you check on them during the hottest part of the day to see how hot it was in there? If you just got these and they were not use to the heat(been kept in a shaded coop/pen) they can not handle the heat.

That unshaded coop was probably like a oven on a hot day like today?? Did you check on them during the hottest part of the day to see how hot it was in there? If you just got these and they were not use to the heat(been kept in a shaded coop/pen) they can not handle the heat.
Yes, it was very hot in there today. Just checked on them for last time tonight. All on perches and rafters next to windows and vents. The white combed comet got down from where I put her and she's next to the waterer.
We've had them since they hatched last April and May.
Got 21 out of 23 eggs today.

Yes, it was very hot in there today. Just checked on them for last time tonight. All on perches and rafters next to windows and vents. The white combed comet got down from where I put her and she's next to the waterer.
We've had them since they hatched last April and May.
Got 21 out of 23 eggs today.
OH Ok, now I know more-----they got to get out of there soon and you know that. In the mean time you got to cool it off. You got fans going during the day? Are you home during the day where you can go out there and spray the roof several times a day to cool it off-----that would make so much difference?

OH Ok, now I know more-----they got to get out of there soon and you know that. In the mean time you got to cool it off. You got fans going during the day? Are you home during the day where you can go out there and spray the roof several times a day to cool it off-----that would make so much difference?
Thank you. Today we put a fan directly into coop. Feel the fan from perches over to the nesting boxes. Also using electrolytes again in all waterers (not letting them even getting warm).

I put a fan on mine when it's too hot plus a little misting. You really should get some shade for them. Even if it's just a tarp this may help them
Thank you. We have a mister for them but that's once we do the run. Getting plastic pool this week for them.
They love the fan we put on them Today! The sicky looking chickadee looks and acts much better. All girls are enjoying their electrolyte filled waters-not so much the barn girls but they'll get used to it.

Thank you. Today we put a fan directly into coop.
Just keep the idea of spraying the roof a few times during the hotter part of the day. That works great! Years ago I had a old school bus and when I walked in it---it would about knock you down from the heat inside because the bus was in the direct sun. I put a thermometer in it and it was 112. I put one of those mister hoses right down the middle of the top of the bus and turned it on. A hour later I went and checked and it was 82 inside---bus still in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom