Overland Park, KS Chicken Ordinance

COOP Group

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 25, 2012
Overland Park, KS
Hello everybody!!

Arthena Easterwood is going to propose the idea of a Chicken Ordinance to the Overland Park City Council Monday morning (April 22nd). We are looking for anyone who is in support of urban chickens to write in. Arthena's email is [email protected]. It will be most helpful if you are from Overland Park and could include any reasons why you believe keeping chickens would benefit our community. If you are not in Overland Park, maybe it could help us if you write in where you live and any positive thoughts or impacts chickens have brought you and your community. I am sure it will be a very long drawn process but this is the first step and we are taking it!!

Thank you so much for your time!!

Natalie Nitz
COOP Group
[email protected]

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip! I have spoken with the animal control office in Columbia and they are very pleased with their ordinance. Zero citations in three years! Columbia's ordinance is actually the one I am using as my starting point.

I see you've got your ducks lined up and goose stepping :) way to drill down to the particulars!

I'm sure, if the issue comes up for debate, you'll hear the same generic complaint/condemnation `chickens produce filth'. When this issue was raised during one of the hearings, in Columbia, it was pointed out that deer hunters, in Columbia, can hang the carcass from a tree in their yard (in the middle of town) and gut the deer right there (entrails hanging and twisting out and blood flowing onto the grass). Yet no one complains about a practice that might well draw in plenty of vermin (unlike 5 well cared for hens).

Though Overland Park has certainly expanded beyond the beyond (not much of anything first time I was there in `70), I wouldn't imagine there is an ordinance preventing deer hunters from gutting their trophies on their own property (yet).

Keep us posted and, good hunting!

Thanks for the tip! I have spoken with the animal control office in Columbia and they are very pleased with their ordinance. Zero citations in three years! Columbia's ordinance is actually the one I am using as my starting point.

I'm wondering, do you have this reporting in an email?? I would love to use it for my city as well!

Hey, any news about the chicken ordinance in O.P from that time? I just relocated to Overland Park KS and I am already building the chicken coop myself nowadays, I am hopping that somehow I will be able to get at least couple Hens in my backyard.

Back
Top Bottom