Overly-complicated, super-ugly, eggshell feeder ... that works and was free

SteveE

Songster
May 2, 2020
Central PA
I've tried various ways to serve eggshells to my girls.

When I bake something else, I will throw in whatever shells have accumulated at 400 for 10 min. After they cool I have a beat up rectangular cake pan..... on top of that a beat up cookie cooling rack with 1/2 mesh.... on top of that 1/4" hardware cloth. I use a 3" wide rolling pin to crush them until the fall through the 1/4" mesh.

Then its a matter of feeding. I opted to feed them from a feeder because I never really remembered to mix it with daily food or scratch, and I kinda wanted to know how fast they use it. I tried a couple different feeders (PVC tube, bottle and tuna fish can) but more shell was blasted out on the ground from pecking than went in the birds. Also the bottle I used had too narrow a neck and tended to get blocked up.

One day at my recycle yard I spotted a "Maker's Mark" brand bourbon whiskey bottle. It had a pleasing shape, with a nice tapering but wide neck. So from my pile of salvaged pallet wood I pieced together a new feeder. This one works great. The "dish" part is a maple syrup bottle cut on my band saw and smoothed out with a mini sanding drum in a Dremel. The egg shells still blast when the girls peck but the high sides of the container keep it there.

I took photos after bringing it back in for a slap-dash application of finish. Creating a holder to position the not-square bottle was interesting. The design is intentionally tool free, except for attaching the unit's back to the wall of the coop.

IMG_4801.JPG IMG_4802.JPG IMG_4803.JPG IMG_4804.JPG

That looks awesome!I love it!! But can I ask why do you bake them? I just let them dry out on a paper plate or paper towel then crush them up (sometimes I put them in a big ziploc bag and crush with whatever’s handy) and throw them out like scratch or on the paper plate.

That looks awesome!I love it!! But can I ask why do you bake them? I just let them dry out on a paper plate or paper towel then crush them up (sometimes I put them in a big ziploc bag and crush with whatever’s handy) and throw them out like scratch or on the paper plate.

Not sure on how true it is but my granny always said to bake the shells to get rid of the raw egg flavor. Put them in without baking and the chickens develop a taste for the eggs.

Not sure on how true it is but my granny always said to bake the shells to get rid of the raw egg flavor. Put them in without baking and the chickens develop a taste for the eggs.
I had left some eggs out one night. Most likely it was a coon or possum that found them and ate them. I put the broken shells in a bucket which my girls found ...and loved. All intact eggs have been safe tho.

I had left some eggs out one night. Most likely it was a coon or possum that found them and ate them. I put the broken shells in a bucket which my girls found ...and loved. All intact eggs have been safe tho.

Like I said I'm not sure how true it is or aint. Everybody I've known growing up done it and said it was to keep the chickens for getting a taste for their eggs. I have a toaster oven in my shop, it only takes a few minutes, and it aint hurting anything. First time I ever heard people not doing it was when I joined here.

Old and stuck in my ways I reckon.

Like I said I'm not sure how true it is or aint. Everybody I've known growing up done it and said it was to keep the chickens for getting a taste for their eggs. I have a toaster oven in my shop, it only takes a few minutes, and it aint hurting anything. First time I ever heard people not doing it was when I joined here.

Old and stuck in my ways I reckon.
I feel ya.

Back
Top Bottom