Overly-complicated, super-ugly, eggshell feeder ... that works and was free

why do you bake them?

Thanks for kind words all!

Since I feed from a bottle, they need to be small enough to easily flow through the neck of the bottle. That means breaking them up. After baking they are MUCH easier to break up. Plus they dry out, which helps prevent them from clumping in the bottle. I picked up the tip from others here on the forum.

BTW... I don't think there's anything to the "taste" thing. I feed busted eggs to my girls all the time. They've never gone after others, even though they fight over broken ones like kids with candy under a pina'ta.

Last edited:
That's far more elegant than my orange juice bottle:
1618832346299.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/recycled-bottle-feed-scoop-and-calcium-feeder.76244/

I have a few glass rum bottles I was saving to use as drip waterers for plants but I ended up saving more than I need so I'll be trying something like this

Like I said I'm not sure how true it is or aint. Everybody I've known growing up done it and said it was to keep the chickens for getting a taste for their eggs. I have a toaster oven in my shop, it only takes a few minutes, and it aint hurting anything. First time I ever heard people not doing it was when I joined here.

Old and stuck in my ways I reckon.
I microwave them for 22 seconds. I hope that's ok to do!

Back
Top Bottom